Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this plant!

Posted by awc2388 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 20:47

Hi all,

I created an account on this website in the hopes that someone could identify this plant for me. So what is it? At the moment it's about two and a half feet tall and could probably get a lot bigger if the pot was up-sized.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this plant!

Appears to be Kalanchoe diagremontiana.

o

Thank you rhizo_1! It's a good thing I'm a very curious person because if I wasn't, I would not have learned that the thing is poisonous.

o

Welcome to GW, Awc. Unless you eat some of your plant, it's harmless.

o

Welcome Awc.

I agree..As long as you don't desire a bite or two for lunch you have nothing to worry about. :)

Do you have children/pets?

Although Kalanchoe is somewhat toxic, there are plants far more dangerous to handle or ingest. Toni

o

I don't think there are any dangers from handling any Kalanchoe, either by casual contact with the unbroken outer surface or the sap. Somebody please inform is if there is any evidence to the contrary.

Having never had plants where pets or small kids could access them, and zero curiosity in regard to tasting, I've never kept track of that aspect of toxicity.

o

Hi Purple...if you're referring to my comment, I didn't mean Kalanchoes. I was talking about other plants.

To this day I will not buy Dieffenbachia. It's been 32-years since I've own one..although they're so pretty.

I will not buy Oleander either, although after spotting a variegated tree, I was so tempted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here