Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting pothos vine grown in water

Posted by sunnyvalley (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 21:14

Hey guys, I have a pothos vine I've been growing out of a bottle of water on my windowsill for the past year that's about 3' long. I'd really like to pot it in soil now instead. Is that risky considering its length and its water roots? (I've successfully planted several pothos cuttings first rooted in water before, but never with more than a few leaves, so I don't know at what point it becomes unreasonable.)

Should I trim back some of the roots and get some short new root growth, then transplant? Or plop it in as-is? Or forget about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting pothos vine grown in water

It should be fine to do that. These plants are hard to kill.

o

Do it! :) It should be fine just to plant. I've never waited that long, maybe a few months at the longest, but when I root cuttings and plant them they seem to have very little lag time/adjustment period if I keep the soil lightly moist for a while, even with really long roots. Your plant should enjoy dirt.

I <3 pothos. They're so happy looking.

Rachel

o

Morning,

I'd forget about it. :)

Pothos do well in water and will last for years.
Some of my Pothos have been in glass over 10-years..However, because of their location, vines grow too long, I cut the ends..

Unless you have your heart set on planting in soil I'd let them be.. Toni

o

What did you decide to do, Sun?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here