Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Dying House Plant

Posted by Garcia3000 Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 21:45

Hi All,

Not sure what kind of plant I have here but it looks like it's going to die soon. Any advise?

I water it regularly (once or twice a week) but recently we added more soil as it was getting low (soil was from the dollar store). Also added some fertilizer.

See pics below and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Dying House Plant

I'm not sure what type of plant you have there...I almost want to say croton, but that aside, I'm sure having it that close to a heat vent is definitely not helping it any. You'll also want to invest in a better soil and hold off on fertilizing until your plant is healthier. Also, if the pot you have it in doesn't have a drainage hole, you're headed for trouble.

Watering twice a week sounds like too much, especially if you're using regular potting soil.

These are just 'at first glance' thoughts. Someone else will likely have more detailed suggestions.

Good luck!

Jeni

o

I, too, thought that your watering schedule seemed too much, especially for winter. If the plant needs watering that often, and you said that the soil was getting low, my guess is that it needs to be repotted. How much sun does your plant get? I agree that having it that close to a vent isn't good. (but perhaps you just moved it there to take the picture.) I hope that some of the more experienced people here will give you good advice on what to do. They'll know how to help! Good luck. I hope you are able to save it.

o

I think that plant is already dead.

o

Tony, can you give us a little more information about the conditions you're growing the plant in? What are the day and night temperatures? How close is it to a window and what exposure? I agree it might be best to start afresh with a new plant. If you want to do that, maybe we can help you find one with good potential to thrive in your particular environment, given optimal soil, watering schedule and fertilizing plan.

Amanda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here