Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limelight dracena

Posted by heislerab none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 22:06

Hi, I have a 6-7 foot lime light dracena that is running out of growing room. Does anyone know if I can prune it and how. If I can is there a certain time to do it. Spring summer?

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limelight dracena

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 22:46

Yes, you can prune it. If it's healthy & growing well, it will back-bud. How profusely it back-buds depends on the timing of the 'chop' and how much stored energy the plant has when you do it. The ideal time would be around the 4th of July for most of the US.

You can be pretty unceremonious about the undertaking, using a saw or regular garden loppers. A smooth initial cut isn't necessary, because the stem/trunk will die back to the highest offshoot, leaving a short stub you can prune back to look better later when you can see clear delineation between living & dead tissue.

There really is very little risk involved, but for best results I'd suggest you get the plant outdoors as soon as nights are reliably above 55*. The plant will gain much more energy, faster, that way.

I'm guessing you probably haven't really repotted the plant - only potted up? If that's the case, you might consider a full repot, which includes bare-rooting and root pruning, around Father's day and delaying the chop until mid-July. It will have a CONSIDERABLE rejuvenating effect on the plant.

If you need more info or have questions, just let me know.

Al

o
RE: Limelight dracena

Okay that sounds great! I live in Alberta Canada so the plant is strictly a house plant. It is very healthy that is why it is running out of room growing like crazy! I have a lemon tree which needs repotting so I will do some root work to my dracena at the same time. Will definately wait until then since it is quite cold up here yet and not a job for in the house. Thanks Al and I appreciate all the great info!

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here