Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerald1951

my hoya hindu rope....

emerald1951
11 years ago

Hi all.....
I just wanted to post this picture of my hoya hindu rope,
its close to 7 feet long now...and I think it needs a bigger pot.....I was wondering if I transplant it some time between now and spring, will it still bloom or will the transplanting make it skip blooming this year?
linda

Comments (11)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Linda,

That is one amazing looking Hoya compacta, I never seen one so long & healthy looking.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but invite you to post it over at Hoya forum. Likely you'd get some good feedback there.

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi and Thank you....you would never know this plant was infested with mealy bugs a year and half ago...I found Bayer tablets that you push into the soil and I gave the plant (not the soil) a shower twice a week until they were gone...the tablets did a great job killing when the bugs sucked on the plant, and the showers washed away the dead bugs....thanks again...I will try the hoya forum..linda

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Linda! How have you been? I owe you:-)

It's bee crazy about my part of the world and yet I wanted to take the time to tell you that you have one of the nicest Hoyta plants I have ever seen, along with your CC too.
    For my Mother to say she loves it says a lot! She hates most plants..lol

Hoping all is well and thanks for sharing such a beauty!
    Does it flower all over the place and do they smell good?
    I love how you got rid of your mealy problem. I can only imagine trying to swab them buggers out of all those hiden spots.

Mike

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike...thank you and your mom for the nice comments..it has bloomed a few times...all is well here.....I guess I am like everyone I can't wait for spring, I was out saturday going to any where, where they sell plants looking for green didn't buy anything..:(
    linda

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

A better chance it wont flower but if up potting is done correctly and with care.

With that being said if the pot isn't budging I wouldn't re-pot it because it's a root ball nightmare you should expect some root loss which would be a contributing reason if you don't get flowering.

Not to sound repetitive but that is one long and very nice looking Rope.

There maybe a few things but what could be worse than a plant free green free weekend when the plan is to get them.

Chasing away the blues.

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful and beautifully=grown H. compacta! I agree: amazing. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to comment on the plant.

I don't grow compacta, but my other H. carnosas don't seem to like being transplanted in cool weather; they do much better when repotted or potted up during summer here.

Amanda

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

O wow, I LOVE LOVE looking at plants like this that I could never have. Not that I think I'm incapable of it, I just know I wouldn't be able to resist trimming those things to make more more more, waaaaay before they got that long. And I probably would have repotted it a while back, breaking some of it I'm sure. I always admire a plant that's been given the chance to mature, and the self-control and patience of its' keeper in not messing with it.

Sorry you didn't find any new additions!

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi and a big thank you to all that commented....
    I think I repotted this plant about 3 times...and the soil seems hard maybe it is all roots...I was going to repot it one more time and then in the future take cuttings and start over....this plant I am guess is about 6 years old...
    maybe I will wait til spring and see what might be there for flowers and then decide.....thanks everyone....linda

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Great hoya, Linda!

Josh

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

If it ain't broke don't fix it....it isn't showing any signs of being upset about the pot size....a real stunner for sure....

• Lamora
    11 years ago

Can't wait for mine to get like that~~ but don't think it will, only 3 plants in this pot, but it is growing!!

Yours is very pretty, :)