Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my hoya hindu rope....

Posted by emerald1951 4 (rstrobel@mchsi.com) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 22:33

Hi all.....
I just wanted to post this picture of my hoya hindu rope,
its close to 7 feet long now...and I think it needs a bigger pot.....I was wondering if I transplant it some time between now and spring, will it still bloom or will the transplanting make it skip blooming this year?
linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my hoya hindu rope....

Hi Linda,

That is one amazing looking Hoya compacta, I never seen one so long & healthy looking.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but invite you to post it over at Hoya forum. Likely you'd get some good feedback there.

o

Hi and Thank you....you would never know this plant was infested with mealy bugs a year and half ago...I found Bayer tablets that you push into the soil and I gave the plant (not the soil) a shower twice a week until they were gone...the tablets did a great job killing when the bugs sucked on the plant, and the showers washed away the dead bugs....thanks again...I will try the hoya forum..linda

o

Linda! How have you been? I owe you:-)

It's bee crazy about my part of the world and yet I wanted to take the time to tell you that you have one of the nicest Hoyta plants I have ever seen, along with your CC too.
For my Mother to say she loves it says a lot! She hates most plants..lol

Hoping all is well and thanks for sharing such a beauty!
Does it flower all over the place and do they smell good?
I love how you got rid of your mealy problem. I can only imagine trying to swab them buggers out of all those hiden spots.

Mike

o

Hi Mike...thank you and your mom for the nice comments..it has bloomed a few times...all is well here.....I guess I am like everyone I can't wait for spring, I was out saturday going to any where, where they sell plants looking for green didn't buy anything..:(
linda

o

A better chance it wont flower but if up potting is done correctly and with care.

With that being said if the pot isn't budging I wouldn't re-pot it because it's a root ball nightmare you should expect some root loss which would be a contributing reason if you don't get flowering.

Not to sound repetitive but that is one long and very nice looking Rope.

There maybe a few things but what could be worse than a plant free green free weekend when the plan is to get them.

Chasing away the blues.

o

That is a beautiful and beautifully=grown H. compacta! I agree: amazing. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to comment on the plant.

I don't grow compacta, but my other H. carnosas don't seem to like being transplanted in cool weather; they do much better when repotted or potted up during summer here.

Amanda

o

O wow, I LOVE LOVE looking at plants like this that I could never have. Not that I think I'm incapable of it, I just know I wouldn't be able to resist trimming those things to make more more more, waaaaay before they got that long. And I probably would have repotted it a while back, breaking some of it I'm sure. I always admire a plant that's been given the chance to mature, and the self-control and patience of its' keeper in not messing with it.

Sorry you didn't find any new additions!

o

Hi and a big thank you to all that commented....
I think I repotted this plant about 3 times...and the soil seems hard maybe it is all roots...I was going to repot it one more time and then in the future take cuttings and start over....this plant I am guess is about 6 years old...
maybe I will wait til spring and see what might be there for flowers and then decide.....thanks everyone....linda

o

Great hoya, Linda!

Josh

o

If it ain't broke don't fix it....it isn't showing any signs of being upset about the pot size....a real stunner for sure....

o

Can't wait for mine to get like that~~ but don't think it will, only 3 plants in this pot, but it is growing!!

Yours is very pretty, :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here