Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Smelly Pothos?

MojaveLove
13 years ago

So I bought a Pothos today, a small one in a 4" pot. I put it on my nightstand next to the window and closed the door so the dogs don't go in. A few hours later go in the room and it stinks. I think it's the plant as it's the only new thing in there but I'm too afraid to take a big whiff as I was just reading a poisonous plant thread and am paranoid LOL

I can't explain the smell, I guess the only comparison is if the dogs did something the next room over (they didn't) lol...

I've smelled a rancid Pothos before, where it smelled like sulfur or something and this isn't like that.

Comments (12)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    13 years ago

Since you just bought it, its probably too wet, overwatered and rotting.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Hydrogen sulfide gas (that rotten egg or sewery smell) and other sulfurous gasses are a by-product of anaerobic decomposition, which occurs in waterlogged soils. You really should lift the plant from the pot & inspect it for black/slimy/sour-smelling roots & return the plant to POP or take remedial action if discovered.

Al

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Did you ever smell sewage?
    There's a plant south of our home..when we pass this company, man oh man, I hold my breath. It STINKS.

Another example is, did you ever either root a plant in water or place flowers in a vase, and forget to change water? It smells stagnant.

Are either odors what you're smelling?

Did your Pothos have foil or paper wrapped around the pot? HD is notorius for selling potted plants in foil, then employees over-water..the smell will knock you out..lol.

Do either sound familiar? Stinky, soaked soil...

Where did you buy the Pothos? And, does the odor smell like dog do-do or we-we? lol.
    Reason I'm asking is, we once went to a local gh that propagates their own plants. They add manure in the soil mix. This would explain a do-do smell. Toni

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Hopefully it isn't root rot, I'll check when I get home.

I actually did not get this from HD, got it from Peshe's (local place). Pot is white plastic and has drainage holes. I don't have any mfg plants near me so that isn't it. It could be manure, you might be on to something. It smells more like doggy do-do not we-we hahaha

I'll give the dirt a sniff today, and I have a hoya from there too that I'll give a sniff to see if it has the same smell. Thanks!

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

If they were mine, I'd return them to the store, sounds like they're rotting. Plants are NOT supposed to smell like that; not an auspicious start to new plants.

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I checked it and it doesn't smell. It was cooped up in there all day too. It didn't smell at the same time of day yesterday either. I wonder if it will do it again later? Weird.

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I checked it and it doesn't smell. It was cooped up in there all day too. It didn't smell at the same time of day yesterday either. I wonder if it will do it again later? Weird.

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

If I had to guess, I'd say one of your dogs had an intestinal issue and passed some gas. The odor may have simply followed you into the room.

Plants don't normally smell bad one moment, then have no odor the next. If the plant is not rotting, I'd say it's a simple case of doggie gas coincidence.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

LOL, on the doggie gas..

That makes sense, unless you smelled the plant as soon as you noticed the odor, and it was definately coming from the soil..

When I worked at HD, we'd occasionally find dead mice in soil/pots 10" and larger, but the smell would still be noticable. Even if it was rodent do-do you'd notice it.

I give up..Hopefully, Jodik is right..lol..Poor puppy.

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol!!!

No, I put my nose right in the plant, it was the plant. Maybe the plant was gassy? lol

My dogs are boxers - very smelly gassy dogs. Tums don't even help. For once it wasn't them haha!

That's....really gross about the mice blech

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

LOL, about gassy plants..

We have an English Mastiff..not only is he gassy, but 4' long strands of drool fly everywhere, especially on company..It's worse when he shakes his head..that stuff is gross..
    I'll be sitting down, watching a movie, when I hear a booming thunder from his behind, then he'll jump up, shake his head, while 4' drool is twirling in circles, from his mouth. lolol..But I love him. :)

Yep, Boxers are similar. They're beautiful dogs.

Yes, the mice were disgusting, but what was worse were when I worked nights..thank God I mainly worked days.
    Rats, NOT mice, 'even though I'm terrified of mice, I don't care how small they are,' but rats would run and hide under crates..they came out at night.
    HD sprinkled poison everywhere..mind you, Mojave, I don't like chemicals..the chemical odor about knocked me out, but rodent feces/urine made my stomach turn.
    My manager would put pellets 'poison' in large pots with plants..I should have reported him..Can you imagine bringing a plant home, thinking these pellets are time-release fertilizer, and handling??? It sickened me..That's another reason I quit working there..I hate mice, so you could only imagine how I felt about big rats! Oh God, just thinking about it gives me goose bumps..They couldn't pay me enough to go back..

• jodik_gw
    13 years ago

Having bred and worked with Molossers for the better part of 30 years, I'm quite used to the digestive anomalies this type of dog can produce. Diet can lessen the instances and severity somewhat, but overall, I think they're just gassy dogs!

If it's the plant that smells bad, I'd remove it from my home, dump it in the trash, and begin anew with a fresh plant. Either the plant is rotting, or there's something rotten in the soil, itself. Most houseplants do not smell offensive, and should not.