Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you see the hitchhiker?

Posted by luvidaho_2010 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 23:20

Photobucket
Photobucket
I bought this lipstick plant last fall at Walmart just before they turned off the heat in their plant area. It was pretty rough looking but has made a nice recovery, even has a few flowers right now.
When I got home with it I found a small segment of Thanksgiving cactus among the leaves when I was cleaning it up. I just stuck the segment into the soil just to see if it would root. I found new growth on the segment today so it must have rooted.
So do I now have a Thanksgiving lipstick cactus? LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you see the hitchhiker?

Haha, that's cute. It looks like it has rooted; it's nice getting two plants for the price of one. :)

o

I have a similar thing.............

After being outside on the deck all summer, seems a squirrel or chipmunk buried an acorn in my ficus plant (with pothos). I left it in there, just to see if new leaves will appear this spring.

Photobucket

o

Now that I think about it, I also have seen something similar (Unfortunately, I don't have a photo). A few months after purchasing some species of aloe, my Mother noticed a white poinsettia had appeared out of nowhere and was growing along side it. She has never owned a poinsettia so she's still not sure where it came from.

@elkay, squirrels or chipmunks are forever burying something in our pots (or as in the case with my Mother's plants... eating it!).

o

plantomaniac, it was fun getting 2 plants. I didn't expect the TC to root, it was really limp and dehydrated.
elkay, we have squirrels to, I am always finding whole walnuts in pots, flowerbeds, and even in the lawn. None have rooted though.

o

@luvidaho_2010, I bet! Hopefully it will continue to grow bigger for you and down the road, produce some blooms! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here