Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Succulent

Posted by chuck_greenthumb (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 23:35

got it today and i have no idea how to care for it and whether or not i oughtta repot it into something bigger. (im concerned about draining.)
tips please.

succulent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Succulent

Looks like a species of Echeveria, not sure which one, though. Make sure your pot has a hole for drainage, and that the potting mix it is in is well draining, as overly wet roots will rot.

Christopher

o

Don't echeverias have different flowers? This kind of looks vaguely like an anacampseros, only I'm pretty sure they have different flowers from this too.

Also it probably needs more light.

o

I stick with Echeveria. See link.

Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Echeveria

o

kaktuskris: thanks :) i'll definitely see to it. however, im unsure if i should move it to another pot while it's flowering.

o

Chuck, don't repot just yet. Most likely, its buds will fall off..you'll never get to see what they look like when they open. Wait. :)
I too agree with Echeveria...however, it's possibly Echeveria 'X', something or other..Toni

o

Chuck,

Repotting your Echeveria will have no effect at all on the flower stalk. Its buds won't fall off.

o

hopefulauthor: ok and again thank you so much for your continued help :) when would be a good time to move it?
(it's starting to open and i'm watering very sparsely, there is another stalk coming from it as well.)

o

Chuck, I'd wait until flowers fade. Please post a pic when buds are fully opened.

I want to add, Cactusmcharris is correct about repotting while flowering, but you said you're new to succulents.
Thought it best you wait, in case you repotted, and buds/flowers dropped.
On the other hand, there have been cases where blooms died after being repotted. Better safe than sorry..Enjoy your flowers.

I've repotted plants, tropicals and succulents in bud/bloom, but I've been at it a long, long time..won't divulge the number of years..lol.

Chuck, another stalk..you're doing something right..Toni

o

hopefulauthor: i've actually moved it to a bigger pot because i couldnt figure out a way to drill a hole into the bottom of the pot (i kinda started liking the pot when i had the drill in hand :P) so this past weekend i moved it into a bigger pot and so far, a few more buds have appeared, but the leaves at the bottom have started withering alittle. which worries me just abit. and the the current buds have not dropped.
yeah i hadnt noticed but you can see it kinda creeping out at the bottom in the picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here