Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally scored a nice Ficus Elastica cutting!

Posted by bsmith717 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 0:07

I know that may sound strange but for some reason its been tough for me. I had a Dr appointment with one of my favorite Md's and there in the room with us was a big ole' Rubber tree with really nice looking coloration.

So I asked Doc for a piece and he happily obliged!

I normally propagate using the tried and true water/cup/window method but I thought id try something different this time, straight perlite.

photo IMG_3954_zps28589a9b.jpg

photo IMG_3955_zps3e24d678.jpg

photo IMG_3958_zps804de212.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally scored a nice Ficus Elastica cutting!

• Posted by wndy USDA z4b MN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 0:27

Wow what a beautiful-looking plant! I am like you, previously I just plunked plants in water... but recently I put some cuttings in a perlite mix. I hope it works out for you!

o

Be sure to keep the perlite moist. If this were my gorgeous cutting, I'd cut off that lower leaf and loosely tent it wth a baggie. I often use perlite to root cuttings.

o

Thanks for the comments!

Pearlite at least allows somewhat of a presentable look to the plants during this process. Plus, I'm hoping its quicker than the W/C/W method.

Rhizo-I was contemplating removing that leaf too. But what would tenting the cut do and what's that process?

o

In my experience, Perlite dries out bvery quickly. if it were me, i would put it in sterile seed starting mix, cut the bottom leaf like rizo said, and water and seal in plastc bags. rubber tree dont root well in water

o

From what I've read and generally seen, and I am quite new to this so take it as a grain of salt, but generally the cutting is much shorter. Like 3 - 5 inches. The bottom leaf usually rests on the top of the soil acting somewhat as a support as it leans on the edge of its container. And it's usually in soil, not perlite. There is a good convo going on about it in this thread:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0211525427062.html?44

You'll have to scoll way down to see, but there is lots of talk and debate on whats the best way to grow from cuttings and it would be so easy for you to change it up right now as you are only in the very beginning stages.

o

Thank you for the link. I got a brief chance to scan the thread and there's a lot of good info there.

o

Very Interesting!

I was unaware I could grow this plant from a cutting!!

Next time I visit my parents I'm gonna have to get a cutting from my mothers rubber tree!

I may turn my indoors into the outdoors before im through lol!!

o

That's a fantastic idea in my opinion!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here