Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown plant

Posted by sjbaby 4 (momisonstrike@gmail.com) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 0:44

if this works, this is what they are calling a prayer plant, i would love to find out the real name.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown plant

another one i just had to buy but dont know any thing about.

o

Your first picture does indeed show what is commonly called a Prayer Plant. Its proper name is Maranta leuconeura. If you put that name in google you will see photos of similar plants.

The second photo shows what is called a Pothos. I think your Pothos is the cultivar "Njoy" although there is also a very similar cultivar that is called "Pearls and Jade".

o

thank you, i have several pothos but never seen one like that, but now that i know it should be easy to grow

o

when i got the prayer plant it had one half dead leaf, i cut that off and watered sparingly and it is coming back strong now along with other stuff.

o

In the top pic, it looks like the pots are full of just wet rocks?

o

Hey Purp,

I was thinking the same thing, why are those top dressing rocks wet? Or in water? Looks confusing & very wet!

o

they are not wet just shiny lol, i found it as a nice medium with the mice, a SMALL layer of aquarium rock over the dirt and the mice leave the plants alone and i water almost never , wet test show it is not affecting the center drying out or the drainage it has been a couple months and none of the plants seem to be suffering. but none of the plants are being gotten into by the mice.

o

Curious, what wet test are you using? Well if the plants are happy & the mice are gone, then sounds like it's a good thing!!

o

the bamboo stick stuck down in the dirt. i was shown a long time ago to stick it all the way down in and let it sit for an hour then take it out and see how wet it is and where it is wet. plants dry out fast in my house, very low humidity. space heaters in the winter and dry heat in the summer. i have almost never had a problem with root rot. i tend to under water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here