Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Algerian Ivy Help

Posted by grrr4200 z5 MI (shatteredwindow@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 1:28

http://www.monrovia.com/img/plants/4529/d/5893-variegated-algerain-ivy-close-up.jpg

I bought a plant in the reduced bin this evening at my local grocery store. Although i am familiar with Algerian Ivy's i'm even more familiar with killing them. I have a great green thumb but a black thumb when it comes to ivy's.. haha

At any rate. Is there anyone with advice on how they get their algerians to grow well? I've read up on them in the houseplant expert but all attempts at keeping these things alive hasn't worked.

Why i bought another one is beyond me... hoping to get some great advice from fellow planties here! Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Algerian Ivy Help

I can believe that they are challenging as a houseplant. They resent warm/dry winter temps in the house. Try to keep as cool as possible over the winter. I ended up planting mine outside, under an overhang of the house and it is doing fine and starting to spread and climb. they are cold hardy to around 7b. I like them even though I ripped out a strand of common English Ivy that had taken over my island of Hemlocks--darn things grew up into the Hemlocks and suffocating them!

o
RE: Algerian Ivy Help

Not recommended as a house plant..to keep it forever plant it in your landscape

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here