Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help

Posted by sjbaby 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 2:57

droping leaves like crazy, but the branches are still healthy and green, it gets bright indirect sunlight i don't over water and i let it drain for an hour after watering. small pot and dries up quick then i water again, and yes it is drying up all the way through, so no wet feet. and new growth is showing up slowly. why are the leaves drying up and falling off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help

tiny new growth

o

closer pic

o

Basically ficus benjamina answers by dropping its leaves to any change in the environment - draught, warmth, cold, even when you place it to a new spot. I would also repot it, there's not much to lose at this state. Use an inner pot that fits in the outer one. While it has just a few leaves, make sure you don't overwater it.

o

I don't let my f. benjamina dry all the way through, once the top half inch is dry I water. For the couple of months I've had it, it has only dropped a few leaves at first and it took hard pruning pretty well too. Was probably a bad time to prune, I need to test my patience. Early summer I plan on repotting once it recovers.

Here is a very useful thread from Al about ficus culture. I think there are one or two more threads, but I can't seem to find them. They help a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus Trees in Containers IV

o

The foil could certainly be interfering w/ drainage. If it were mine, I'd take that off ASAP.

W/ the foil on, how do you know it's drying all the way through?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 15:59

Ficus b reacts to unfavorable changes in light, soil moisture, and temperature by dropping leaves, but not to favorable changes. I'm pretty certain we can isolate the issues most likely to be causing the leaf loss, but it would be a good idea if you read the thread Auron linked to, which will familiarize you with the plant's cultural preferences and help to eliminate as much guesswork as possible. I'd also suggest that you read this basic over view. Both of these articles should help you isolate correctible cultural limitations. By systematically eliminating the things that are limiting the plant's vitality, the plant can't help but regain some of its unrealized vitality and grow with more of its natural vigor.

Al

o

there is no foil on the bottom and there is good drainage i can lift out the inner pot and check it the foil is just around the edges, my 10yr olds idea. i take the inner pot out to water it. i moved it to a brighter, warmer, more humid site in my kitchen hopefully that will help

o

Oh, OK then, thanks for clarifying that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here