Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Tillandsia Vertical Garden

larry_b
11 years ago

Hi all,

Here is my new Tillandsia vertical garden.

{{gwi:76255}}

{{gwi:76256}}

Comments (8)

• drvongirl
    11 years ago

That's really cool! What kind of wood is that and where did you find it? I have a couple of air plants just hanging on yarn, I would like to try something like that too! Nice!

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Drvongirl,

The wood is called Mopani Wood. You can find them in pet stores and tropical fish stores. I got this piece at Petco.

Larry

This post was edited by larry_b on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 3:51

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

What a great idea! It's beautiful! How do you secure the plants to the wood?

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks greybird,

I use either E6000 glue or cool hot glue for adhering the tillandsias to the mopani wood. I use the E6000 glue on the smoother surface as I wasn't sure that I could use the hot glue there and not have it be conspicuous. On the back, where the wood is much rougher, I used hot glue. Hot glue is much easier to use as it cools and sets very fast. The E6000 glue takes quite a little bit longer to set and the tillandsias have to be taped down during that period.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

This is so cool!! DH (sitting next to me) was wondering how they root and did you drill holes and how do you water them? And yes, I want to try this!! :)

Just asking since I have only seen these with no instructions on how to do them..

Marjie

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lamora,

Thank you!

No I didn't drill any holes. I just glued them to the surface of the wood. I water them by misting them three times a week. The rules are mist them, gently shake them and let them dry off. They should dry in 4 hours. If they stay wet, especially deep down where the leaves begin, they need to be misted just a little less otherwise they may be susceptible to rotting. One can also soak them in a bucket or such for half an hour, then gently shake off the excess water. And again they should pretty much dry out after 4 or 5 hours. If you soak them, then only do so every week or 10 days. A lot of the frequency of watering has to do with how humid your environment is. If you have a humid house then water them less.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, I like.

How many Tills are mounted altogether?

You mentioned soaking. Do you mist and soak? If so, is wood and all submerge 'under' water?

What happens to Tills after flowering? I've divided and rooted Bromiliads but never Tills.
    How do you locate the area that needs separating? Toni

• larry_b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry, I like.

Thanks Toni!

How many Tills are mounted altogether?

I'm not sure what you mean. There are 14 tillandsias on this piece of mopani wood. They are all glued on separately.

You mentioned soaking. Do you mist and soak? If so, is wood and all submerge 'under' water?

I do not soak my tillandsias, I only mist them. Yes if you soak them you would submerge the wood. The only reason I would soak my tillandsias would be If they got too dry and started to go dormant. Then I would soak them for 12 hours to re-hydrate them.

What happens to Tills after flowering? I've divided and rooted Bromiliads but never Tills.

Tillandsias only flower once like most Bromiliads. When they do they usually produce pups. The mother plant does eventually die, but not necessarily right away.

How do you locate the area that needs separating? Toni

When the pups are at least one 1/3 to 1/2 as large as the mother plant they can be separated. It's really pretty obvious where the pups are joined to the mother plant. You just gently pull them apart.

Larry

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?