Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Money Tree Problems

Posted by willows88 none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 5:42

Hello, I'm adding a couple photos of a plant we have that's not doing so well. We transplanted it into a bigger pot a few weeks ago as these problems had already started and it had been in a small pot for a bit too long. The problems continue of course as can be seen here. It gets watered about once a week as we let the soil dry up well before watering again. I have no way of determining the pH of the soil but I understand the plant is supposed to have between 5 and 7. Its watered from the water cooler and not from tap water. My guesses are excessive salt buildup on the roots, which I thought would be cured by transplanting, nutrient deficiency, which, again, I thought would have been cured by a bunch of fresh soil (regular house plant potting soil), or a pH imbalance, which is skewing the proper intake of nutrients.
Any input anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Money Tree Problems

One of two more photos.

o

And the last of the photos. Thanks!

o

Ahh, forgot to mention that it only gets indirect sunlight, between 4 and 6 hours a day, I imagine.

o

It needs more light, as close to a bright window as possible :-)

How did the roots look when you re-potted? These plants do much better in a fast-draining mix, rather than a heavy potting soil.

Josh

o

Thanks for the response, I'll move it into another room that gets more direct light.
Regretfully I didn't take a close look at the roots when I repotted. And I definitely think this soil is more on the heavier side. I've been much more lenient with the way I'm watering it than I was right after I transplanted it. Maybe this and more light will bring it back around a bit. :)

o

Try repotting it in the same container--but use a mix of 50% cactus/palm soil and 50% potting soil. This will lighten up the mix, allowing it to drain faster. Make sure your pot has a drainage hole! The plant likes to be pot bound and will thrive in bright light with slightly damp media at all times. See if that helps! :)

o

A mix of peat-based cactus soil and peat-based potting soil really won't increase drainage. If you must use a pre-bagged potting mix, cut it with 75 percent coarse Perlite. I, however, recommend a mix of durable ingredients, such as screened bark, turface, and some other grit - quartz, granite, small gravel, scoria, et cetera. In a truly free-draining mix, these plants are a breeze to grow.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here