Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

Chlorophytum question

flora_uk
13 years ago

I have long grown Chlorophytum comosum 'Variegatum' as one of the easiest and most forgiving pass-along houseplants. Recently I got a plantlet from a holiday cottage I was staying at in which the variegation is reversed from the usual. In my old plant the white strip is central with green edges. In this new plant the central strip is green with white borders. Can anyone tell me if this plant has a varietal name? Or is it just an alternative nameless version of the common 'spider plant'? Each plant has only one variegation pattern. Both patterns never occur on a single plant. 'Old plant' 2 on the right. 'New' plant 1 on the left. I apologize for the poor focus. I can never get it right. It looks fine on my camera and on my computer but it always looks terrible on here.

{{gwi:76346}}

Comments (8)

• marquest
    13 years ago

I have the solid green and both the reverse white in the middle and white edge. This is what I found.

Spider plants are commonly variegated with a white stripe in the middle, but can come with a reverse stripe, or solid green leaf. This is one hardy plant. Most problems arise from over watering. You will start getting black tips with a yellow halo, then whole black lower leaves. So, they need to be dry between watering. Keep an eye on the foliage it becomes pale and droopy when it's ready for water. The root system is large and tuberous, and can store water longer than most hanging plants.

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, marquest. Although they are so common I still think they're great plants. Mine don't have any issues, I was just wondering if the different variegated versions have varietal specific names other than 'Variegatum'?

• marquest
    13 years ago

OK how about this LOL

Chlorophytum comosum (Spider Plant) and its cultivars provides an attractive hanging plant for bright locations. The species,

- Chlorophytum comosum, has medium to dark-green satiny leaves, but only accounts for about 10% of spider plant sales.

- Chlorophytum comosum `Vittatum' is the most commonly grown spider plant and has long recurved medium green leaves with a broad central white stripe. This cultivar, when allowed to grow, is the larger sized plant often sold in hanging baskets.

-Chlorophytum comosum `Variegatum' is a somewhat smaller cultivar than `Vittatum' and has medium to dark-green leaves margined with white bands.

• theplantwizard
    13 years ago

I just learned it as Variegatum 'Inverse'. It's my favorite C. comosum.

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brilliant. Thanks. I'll try to remember 'Vittatum' but will almost certainly end up calling it Variegatum 'Inverse'. I'm really grateful. I couldn't find that info. It's particularly confusing as so many pictures of the commoner type are mislabelled 'Variegatum' on the web.

• marquest
    13 years ago

I put all three of them in pots together. I like the different variegation and the solid green together.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Marquest, three in one pot sounds really pretty. Are they babies or mature? Have a picture?

I bought a Chlorophytum at our grocery store a couple years ago. I think it's a mini..Variegtated, extra-thin and short leaves..
    Anyone know what this guy could be? Toni

• marquest
    13 years ago

Toni, I never took its pic. I will get a pic for you.

About your plant...I seem to remember a few years back of people talking about Chlorophytum comosum 'Bonnie' that was a small spider. You might look that up and see if that is what you purchased.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH