Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Repotted House Plants

Posted by customyarn2013 6A NJ, USA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 7:09

I have five croton and two aloe that all needed to be re potted, desperately. My question is how soon after potting with Miracle Gro should I fertilize? The bag says it feeds plants up to 6 months, I'm not so sure of that, though, they are growing quite vigorously. I need to water these new pots every other day. Last time I fertilized was in late autumn, with Miracle Gro at half strength.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Repotted House Plants

I would wait a few weeks before adding more fertilizer, others may have different advice. I'd like to know what others think also :>)

o

after repotting i wouldnt fertilize for 2 weeks

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

You can't hurt a plant with too little fertilizer, especially in a soil that contains slow-release. But too much can kill a plant.

" they are growing quite vigorously" If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the growth slows, that would be your sign the time-release is finished releasing.

" I need to water these new pots every other day." That's good if your schedule allows. If it's because the roots don't have a lot of room to grow, this may indicate the pot is too small. Hard to gauge without a pic. I was confused from your first sentence and the rest of the paragraph whether you've already repotted or not.

I wouldn't put Aloe in MG potting soil, but am only going by what I read around these forums, I don't have any Aloes. You may want to go on the cacti forum to read/ask about those.

Your nickname makes me curious if you crochet or some other type of "thready" activity? I think there's a forum for that too, in the home section. I know there's a forum for quilting, and cross-stitch which I've always enjoyed.

o

Customyarn,

I don't have much faith in MG w/fertilizer.

MG company decided to add 'x' amount of time-release fertilizer, then up'd the price. They did the same w/Moisture Control.
I'd rather buy plain, old MG.

You said you last fertilized late autumn.
I'm assuming around Sept? Sept to Mar is 6-months.

Even if it's been 5-months, fertilizing will not hurt your plants.

Of course, if you feel uncomfortable, wait another month.

I'd be particularly careful fertilizing Aloes. Are they growing? If not, I'd definately wait. If you see new leaves, half or quarter strength will do.

Good luck, Toni

o

After re-potting, wait 2 weeks to fertilize.

Welcome back, Toni.

Josh

o

Hi Josh. Thanks. How have you been?

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I thought Customyarn's plants were already repotted, especially after reading the Subject of Posting. Hmmm???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here