Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena Sanderiana)

Posted by Lesprit_de_escalier 19063 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 7:20

I have my Lucky Bamboo in a fish bowl, with a fish. The fish has been living well, it is a beta, and I am certain there aren't contaminates in the water. The bamboo had to survive a shirt trip through the cold to get here, where it is now. I noticed one of the four stalks leaves were lightened, leaning towards yellow or lime. Another stalks leaves has began lightening, and the base if the stalk is whitish now (the roots are all orange). Is this normal? Could the bamboo be in too much water? It is next to a window that is consistently covered by a curtain. Should I move the plant away from the window, in any case? the bamboo stalks are submerged at different levels and some are larger, but the largest is fine and under the most water. The stalk that has turned light at the base and it's leaves is the next largest, and slightly less submerged. Size and submergence fallows. The deepest is about three inches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena Sanderiana)

This plant is commonly sold as an aquatic plant but it isn't. It'll last a while in the water but will slowly start to decline. I believe it is native to rainforest so it can handle the being fully submerged for a while but not forever. It would do better in a pot with soil.

T.J.

o
RE: Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena Sanderiana)

Lesprit...How long have you had Lucky Bamboo in the tank?
You mentioned no contaminates. Are you adding chemicals in the water, like No-Chlor?

How much water covers each plant? Are roots completely submerged under water?

You said the window is completely covered. Is your plant getting any light source?
If leaves are paling, your LB isn't getting enough light. LB doesn't require blazing sun, but needs light..

Leaves pale for different reasons, but I'd bet, 'if your tank/plant is in a dark room,' lack of light is the problem.

If you remove the curtain, will it be too cold for your Beta? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here