Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Designing an indoor garden?

Posted by robemeen none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 7:59

I am designing an indoor garden. It will be located in a glass sunroom/conservatory. Unfortunately, most of the books about indoor gardening are about growing plants in pots. I want to create an ACTUAL indoor garden -- lavender, jasmine, ferns, irises -- planted in soil beds.

What I want to know is:
1. Whether there are any books or websites on the subject.
2. Whether the plants I've mentioned would grow in good indoor conditions, and any other plant suggestions (preferably plants with flowers!)

This post was edited by robemeen on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 7:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Designing an indoor garden?

Wow sounds like great fun. Lavander and jasmine would need outdoor quality light probably 8 hours or more. Is there a floor or just dirt? Can the temp be controlled, under glass it will get very hot. Hibiscus would be an easy plant with lots of flowers. Some passion flowers are fragrant vines and pretty easy to grow. Is the greenhoust in full sun

o

Welcome to Gardenweb! I see from your profile that you are in Spain. I would love to see a picture of your conservatory if you feel like adding one to this discussion. How much space do you have in it?

Generally, plants grown outside in the sun for their flowers are usually unable to grow as well inside because there's so much less light inside. A conservatory should have much more light than inside a regular room in a house, but it's not possible to know from the info here so far if it is enough light for certain plants, or possibly too much for other plants (like ferns.) Determining how much light is available is the first step to selecting potential plants.

o

There's a reason why most books deal with indoor container gardening...that's what most people do.

That being said...

Interior Landscape Design, by Nelson Hammer
Foliage Plants for Decorating Indoors, by Virginnie F. and George A. Elbert

Then I'd check with the ASLA for any recommendations and with Timber Press for any current titles of interest.

Beyond that, you're going to have to extrapolate. What are the primary limiting factors of growing indoors? What are the great advantages of growing indoors? How does your particular site enhance or limit these factors, and/or what can you do change them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here