Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this plant?

Posted by phrog VT (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 8:25

I'm told this is fairly common, but I have a puppy coming and I need to be sure it isn't toxic. Can you identify it? It stands almost 5 ft. to the top leaf and many of the branches are woody.

Thanks.

http://www.legacyvideoportraits.com/plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this plant?

Looks like a Schefflera to me.

o

Any suggestions for a non-toxic replacement that would look good in a large pot, be fairly tall, and survive in 50's inside temps?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 12:24

The plant you have is very durable and fixable if you want to tackle it? It just needs cutting back & a repot. Looks like lack of light is an issue, too. Have you fertilized at all? Consider the question moot if you plan on discarding it.

Al

o

Looks like Dwarf Shefflera aboricola.

What size is its pot? It needs brighter light..just to be cautious, check for insects. Foliage is somewhat pale..Toni

o

phrog, I'm assuming that you've looked up the toxic qualities of your shefflera and have decided to get rid of it when your new puppy comes into the home.

As far as a replacement goes, it might be a good idea to hold off on the floor plants for awhile...at least until the pup gets out of the chewing, mangling, dragging things around, knocking things over stage.

o

Rhizo, you get to the heart of my question. The existing plant is going to horticultural heaven soon. We don't want to revive it. And we can certainly wait to find something else.

o

Good idea, on both counts! That poor plant either needs to be put out of its misery (no offense, lol) or adopted out to someone who can do some real R&R on it. REVIVAL and recuperation. As tapla suggests, it's a fairly straight forward process for this particular plant....but not one you need to undertake with a puppy coming into the home.

RIP, Shefflera.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here