Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please, unusual houseplant.

Posted by bsmith717 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 8:50

A co-worker of my wife has had this plant in her office for some time and every time I visited I thought how nice it'd be to have some. So the last time I asked her and she had no problem giving me a nice cut!

It's a very fleshy feeling plant with leathery leaves that are deep green ontop and a rich merlot coloring on the underside. The stems from the rhizome to the leaf and also the rhizome itself is pale yello with pretty tiny red speckles all over it. It also feels kind of hairy every where but the leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please, unusual houseplant.

photo IMG_3961_zps520ac1c6.jpg

photo IMG_3962_zpsb3b2ce8e.jpg

photo IMG_3963_zps13eb9d22.jpg

photo IMG_3964_zpsbbd99b66.jpg

photo IMG_3965_zps6259b946.jpg

o

Hi, bsmith, that's a rhizomatous begonia. It looks like it has B. erythrophylla in it.

Nice plant!

Amanda

o

Thank you!

Any advise on these guys? I have never kept a Begonia before.

o

That's a rhizomatous Begonia, a succulent type plant. Please, out of the water immediately. Let it dry until tomorrow. A very shallow pot, like the drip saucer of a plastic pot, is great. Plant like a bearded Iris, with the top surface just above the soil. Morning sun is great. Well drained, porous soil, almost parched between waterings.

The American Begonia Society "virtual greenhouse" page has a good overview of the basic types of Begonias.

Of course yours is a different one, but the flowers should look something like these. And you can see, these stay short.

o

Hi...I had one of those...
beef steak begonia...linda

o

Ill pull it out as soon as I get home.

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here