Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwhcrew

Boston Fern

mwhcrew
13 years ago

I have a Boston Fern that was my mother's. It's currently in a SE facing window that gets direct sunlight in the morning. I've been trying to water it a little bit each morning, but the leaves are all very pale, some are brown and dead. Do I need to move it from the window, is it getting too much sun? Or do I need to water it more? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

MW..how long have you had the BF in a SE window?
    Are you rotating? Hanging plants should be rotated, one-quarter turn once a week or every other week.

Cut the brown fronds.
    Is your fern root bound? Why are you watering a little each day?
    Instead, why not water thoroughly, then rewater when soil feels barely dry?
    What about humidity? Is the air dry? Humidifers work best, but a weekly shower and daily misting up's humidity, too.
    Ferns need humidity.

Has the fern every been fertilized?
    Leaves yellow for different reasons including over-watering and insects.

Check for pests.(white, fuzzy Mealy Bug, or spider webbs, Spider Mites.) Insects suck sap from leaves, leaves yellow.

If you don't find bugs, remove brown fronds, shower entire plant, fertilize and add Epsom Salts in the fertilize mix.
    Ferns don't need direct sun, so if you have a bright window, in a cool, not cold room, with added humidity, you should see improvement. Good luck, Toni

• greattigerdane
    13 years ago

It sounds like your boston fern may need more water, especially if the soil half way down isn't moist. I have two, and both are in a sw window which gets some direct sun, but they are also well watered on a weekly basis usually.
    Don't give your fern sips everyday, instead, take it over to a sink (if you can) and keep running tepid water (not cold, not hot) through the soil until it comes flooding out the drain holes, then you'll know it's been well watered.
    The soil of boston ferns needs to be moist at all times, otherwise the fronds will turn a light green and you'll have plenty of drying and frond loss.
    You should see some improvement as long as your wetting the "entire" root-ball.

Billy Rae

• mwhcrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK great thanks everyone. I'll try misting it every morning and then making sure to soak it once a week about. It's hanging over the kitchen sink so that shouldn't be a problem! I'll also cut the brown fronds off. Thanks!

• greattigerdane
    13 years ago

Many indoor plants just don't need higher humidity to do well, including boston ferns:)Misting never hurts though, it will keep the plant clean of accumulation dust.

Billy Rae

• greattigerdane
    13 years ago

Many indoor plants just don't need higher humidity to do well, including boston ferns:)Misting never hurts though, it will keep the plant clean of accumulating dust.

Billy Rae

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

I bought 2 Boston Ferns from Ralphs. They were the last 2 and kind sad and broken. I put them outside under a balcony thats bright but only gets direct sun a few hours in the evening. Since hanging them outside they seem to be dropping a bit. I water them once a week and mist them a few times a week but we had a few pretty hot days(around 92) and I think thats the problem. Is there anything I can do to make them less droppy? Other than that they seem fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Fern

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio