Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melekmi

Orchid/houseplant ID

Melekmi
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I received this plant about 3 or 4 months ago from a friend who told me that this was an orchid. She bought the plant in only ok shape. I immediately repotted the next day. The leaves of this plant to started to wither and fall as well as its closed flower. After a while I started to just let the leaves fall in the pot and sit there for a day or two. About a month later, i started to see a few shoots emerge. So I regained hope and decided not to toss it.
I appreciate all plants but this one here makes my window sill look depressing. What is this plant? An orchid? What are the news shoots? Is that a weed growing in the pot on the right side? Does this plant have any hope? Thank you.

Comments (14)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

I don't believe that is an orchid. I could be wrong

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

I dont think that is an orchid to, if it was a orchid the plant would be dead in a month due to the soil, orchids like fast draining soil, but it can hold some water such as bark. Did the plant have bulb like at the bottom of the stem in the ground? To me it looks like some type of a lilly, due to what the leaves looks like. So in conclusion i believe it is a lily.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Mele, I'd like to see you post this in the Orchid Forum. I'm not an expert (not even close) on orchids, but I believe that this is one. It looks nothing like a lily to me.

I wish that some of our orchid people would help out.

• Melekmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just did a google image search for lily. And it seems to be the case. However, on the right side, is that a weed growing? It doesn't look like the other news shoots.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The taller weeds could be lambs' quarters. The little one could be wild carrot. Name-that-plant forum could help if you don't think these suggestions match your plants. Saying where you are can help also, different "weeds" are in different areas.

11 years ago

Looking at the cane type segmented stem...what about a dracaena of some sort....terribly elongated and misshapen?

11 years ago

Looking at the cane type segmented stem...what about a dracaena of some sort....terribly elongated and misshapen?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I had that thought too, but don't know one to suggest. What about those petiole things in the top pic? Would orchid flowers leave those? Do orchid flower stalks have leaves also? Doesn't seem Drac-like to leave a petiole but I certainly don't know them all, and can't see if the leaves are leaving those. The structure is ambiguous from just these 2 pics.

• auron22
    11 years ago

Never seen an orchid like that. 90% sure it is a lily. Looks exactly like the lily i bought for my mothers birthday in february but with very little leaves. It was those valentine lilies that were everywhere but she doesn't know that. Hers was also loosing leaves, but not that many. I do not think they are meant to be houseplants. If you google oriental lily you may notice the leaves are similar. Did the flower bud also look similar?

Since it is done blooming, and has very little leaves to collect energy for next year. I would knock it out in the freezer and take it out and plant it 30+ days later. This is all under the assumption that is it a lily...it could be something else.

• Melekmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will take this to the other forums and post a closer pic of this plant.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Looks just like a lily here too If it had a cone shaped flower it would be a trumpet lily. ( AKA Easter Lily) If wider open than a trumpet then it would be an oriental offering a wide array of colors and many orientals have fragrance

Some of them can and are seasonal late spring mid summer repeat blooming even if grown year round out side if zone hardy but not dependable enough to say leave it outside all year. I store mine in containers in cold rooms during the winter and frost season for hardening.

I wouldn't but If you do dig it out you'll need the bulb/bulblets that have split wide open like a cut orange in into sections not the easiest task but very possible.

As they do have frost limits I'd be more hesitant to freeze mine. I've not done it but it is possible to force it to bloom late summer end by the freezer method mentioned.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

A simple way to decide if it is a lily (which it does look like to me) is to gently remove some of the potting medium from around the stems. Is there a lily bulb down below?

Rhizo I was thinking those were leaf scars since they don't circle the whole stem likea segment.

I would agree with Purple that the taller weed looks like Chenopodium album.

• Melekmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. Everyone was extremely helpful. I posted this in the name that plant forum. And received a similar answer that it is a lily and that the weed is a chenopodium. Thanks so much.

11 years ago

Good going, everybody! :-)