Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Outside day!

FINALLY, I think it's time that plants can get back outside, quite late this year for this location. It's usually sunny here, but hardly any of that in the 10-day forecast although the temps look great, so sunburns should be minimal from the adjustment.

I'm going to keep some Philos and Dracs in since there's a few nights of low-40's predicted next week but I think everybody else will be going out today. Some will finally get their first thorough drink since coming inside. I don't use drip trays and some really big plants sit right on the floor.

When the time comes for your plants, for those who take plants outside for summer, let us know!

Comments (14)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I'm so jealous Tiffany, we wont be able to put plants out until some time in mid to late April. Show us pic's of your beautiful porch when your done. Have fun !!!!!
    Christine

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Christine! The grass is always greener, huh?! LOL! I'm jealous of folks south of me who don't even have to bring a lot of stuff in. The thing holding me back yet is the wind. 35+ mph gusts today. Chasing plants down the street isn't part of the plan... It's still early, but might just be the hanging and biggest ones today. Knowing someone wants to see a pic is encouraging. Guess I should be straightening up the porch about now, sweeping the pollen off, but here I sit, chatting.
    - Tiffany

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Tiffany,

Plants-outside-day is about 1.5 months away - the birdbaths are still freezing over. Hope you have fun and some Advil at the end of the day.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I must say you did get me going this morning, I dragged out my perennial pots from my screened in patio, my sedum & ribbon grass has started to grow and I figured the hostas cant be too far behind. I'm so excited to get ready to start my seeds, I've already bought alot. I started my gardening journal already. Do you have a journal or do you have way to many plants for that?
    Christine

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeff, sending warmest possible vibes!

There's still some plants in here, but I ran out of room on the porch and energy for now. I got about 80 pots out in about 90 minutes. It's always so much quicker to go out than in. There was some wilty stuff since I was holding out (need to trek most outside for a drink while they live inside anyway,) so will take pics tomorrow.

At least there's room to start packing now, we're moving about 1/2 mile at the end of April.

Excitement, Christine! There's some cute little Veronica and bulb Oxalis blooming here, cheery!!

I have a spreadsheet that has different pages of notes, a list of plants, but for progress, I rely on pics mostly. Some albums on FB help keep the best ones somewhat organized. Anything not woody usually gets 'redone' every spring, so nothing to gauge long-term with those. I'd be happy to email it to you if you like playing with Excel.

OT Alert into ground-gardening...:
    When I was into perennial flowers the notes included first and last bloom, when it showed up from being dormant, stuff like that. I've decided I don't care about some of the clichés like 'having something blooming at all times,' and worrying about color clashes or schemes. And that waiting for plain green lumps and bumps to make a few flowers for a short time is really boring to me, and I do not ever want to 'divide a plant' just because it's been 3-5 years.

I do shrubs, interesting foliage, nectar plants, some edible whims, hopefully in a not unattractive arrangement. Oh, and I do love bulbs, anything but yellow, just because they grow so sensibly, reliably, neatly, so easy to re-arrange, share. They don't creep or wilt, or get too big and need to be pruned. Yep, will be moving all of that stuff too, anything not to big to dig.

- Tiffany

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Thanks for the offer Tiffany, but I'm still old school LOL and like writing in my old note book I've had for years. Since you love purple so much do you grow the Hyacinth Bean Vine? I found some seeds last week in our local nursery and snatched them up,I love growing them. Good Luck with your move, does the new place have a nice porch?
    Christine

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

the only thing i am putting outside now are containers of very hardy vegetablesh

Original Author
    10 years ago

The porch is a mess, sorry, furniture is out of place, on its' way elsewhere, and I spent the weekend digging up ground plants and putting them in my Mom's yard. (Only about 22 more trips should do it!) Here's some pics from this morning, sorry they didn't come out great.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The other end.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Good start, wish I was closer I'd help. I'm really good at moving plants. We have some warmer weather coming up here this week, YAY it took a long time coming... Thanks for taking the time to post pic's Tiffany :>)
    Christine

Original Author
    10 years ago

Any excuse to take a break is a good one to me! Made a list of what I'm moving to Mom's yard for various reasons, mainly because she keeps asking "what's this" and "what bulbs are these?" LOL! Some of them used to be house plants when I lived in OH, and the Sans still are, just thought it would be easier to put those in the ground over there than try move them with the other house plants. They were just jumbled in 2 big pots from when I dug them up last fall, with chunks of yard dirt still on them. I'll add some pics of where they are now soon.

This is what I have moved, or will be moving to Mom's yard this month...
    Colocasia (elephant ears)
    Amaryllis - red
    Lycoris radiata (red spider lily)
    Lycoris aurea (yellow)
    Daffodil
    Bletilla (ground orchid)
    Curcuma
    Caladium
    Allium
    Oxalis (pink)
    Crinum (haven't bloomed yet...)
    Gladiolus
    Canna
    Mirabilis jalapa (4'o'clocks)
    Chives
    Rose - yellow/red
    Rose - red knockout
    Gardenias (baby shrubs I propagated last year)
    Butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii)
    Brugmansia - white
    Violets
    Tradescantia pallida (purple heart)
    Talinum paniculatum (jewels of Opar)
    Hydrangeas - blue (baby shrubs I propagated last year)
    Dianthus - pink
    Easter lily - white
    Cycads
    Strobilanthes dyerianus (Persian shield)
    Myosotis (blue forget me nots)
    Jasmine shrub if still alive
    Liriope
    Sansevieria (snake plant)

Here's another pic from diff. angle of front porch today. Until the pecan trees leaf out, there's a lot of shade missing. There's still about 15 plants inside.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Nice, you have a vast variety of plants. Hope your having fun while you work so hard

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Christine! I hope I'm having fun, I'm not sure - LOL!

Putting the rest of the plants outside today if I can find shady spots for them!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

O Purple! What I would do to have a seat there some time and have a cup of coffee with you while you give me pointers on how to grow some of my plants as pretty as yours....That looks so peaceful..

I would not mind getting old rocking on that rocking chair surrounded by those plants for years to come..

Mike

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida