Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

My latest plant purchase

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

Never thought I'd get a Philodendron for its flowers.

Comments (23)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course, the tag just said "Philodendron". I guess I'll find a name for it eventually. They had a number of them there but this was the only one flowering.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Very beautiful! Be sure to get rid of that twisty tie before it girdles the stem.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh so beautiful!!!!

Now I have one of those and never knew it could flower like that. Very nice.

Mike

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    i rarely have flowers on my phils but always white . Be sure and tell us the speies?? gary

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo_1, they put a small stake in to stop the plant from flopping but I intend to put it up against a tree where it can flop all it likes. Don't think it's a climber, probably more a sprawler but that's okay.

Mike, Philos aren't usually collected for their flowers, often you'll never see them. But this one's certainly different.

Gary, I'll certainly try to find out what exactly it is. Possibly a hybrid, maybe cultivar of some sort. But they all start off with a species somewhere behind them. My Philos don't flower much, haven't noticed any flowers on my P. erubescens, let alone red ones even though there's a lot of red in the plant.

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    11 years ago

Wow! It's like a Philo dressed in an obake-type Anthurium costume. That is stunning. I'm looking forward to photos of it climbing a tree, when you get it to that point.

Amanda

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    interesting that it would flower at such a small size.
    Only ones that flower regularly for me is P sellourm.
    certainly nothing to shout about anyway lol Good luck with it that's a beauty gary

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

It looks a bit like a Calla Lily to me.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I knew I would see a cool plant from Tropic - cuz I thought he had them all already. That's soo pretty! Similar to flowers I spotted on a giant hanging plant at a garden center in January. Your plants' flowers are much more intense though. I would have succumbed to its' beauty too if I saw a plant like that for sale (that I could afford.) It's not the best angle, but it was over my head.

11 years ago

The whole thing, obviously I can't afford that, should they be willing to part with it. The blooming part looks so different, but they insisted it was all one plant. I did buy a propagated piece of the dangling, variegated part. Maybe the plain green blooming section is a reversion.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amanda, those colours are certainly more like Anthurium than Philodendron. Maybe its a transgeneric cross, LOL.

Gary, it could be a cutting from an already older plant, or maybe flowering was chemically induced. Nurseries have a lot of tricks up their sleeves to trap gullible people like me that have more money than brains. (Believe me, I have very little money, so makes me an easy target, LOL.) But this one was the only one flowering out of all the rest of the same plants. Maybe other flowering ones had been bought up. I've got a couple of small P. bipinnatifidum (selloum) but they just don't do well here, wrong climate.

Marric, it's the same with Callas, they won't grow here either, wrong climate.

Purple, that does look very much like mine. Your colours didn't wash out in the photo? I sometimes get that, when for some reason my camera reproduces colours very much paler than what's real. I'd say there are definitely 2 different plants in your photo. The smaller leaf one looks like Philodendron "Pink Princess". I have one of those too, variegation is variable with occasional leaves being entirely green.

We had a lot of rain the past few days and I left the Philo out in it. It's response was to close up the spathe and even though the sun's been out a couple of days now the spathe is still closed. Not withering or anything. It actually looks new, as though it has never opened yet. It's in shade, bright light, not direct sun.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    i see a lot of "Guilding the lily" common practice in the large chain nureries.. Particularly phal orchids they have brilliant purples. neon orange and yellows some even have glitter glued to the petals. lolI recently run accross a
    Spathiphyllum that had pink flowers . Couldn't determine if it was dyed but couldn't find any cultivars with other than white flowers. Was going to buy it anyway but was gone when I returned lol. If dyed it was a good job!! There are a gazillion cultivars of this plant ,why not a pink?? gary

11 years ago

Tropic, I get what you're saying about pics, but that color is pretty accurate in the top pic from what I could see of the flower above my head. Agreed, the 2nd pic is a little strange from the bright light behind. Hope they have this plant out again when I go back. OMG - what if somebody bought it!? No, not possible...!

Is your pretty new Philo hardy at your location? I'm assuming that you mean permanently in the ground when you said "against a tree" above. Hope you'll post some updates in the future!

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An update here on the Philo. I left the plant in the pot but have it against a tree. It gets the strongest light in the afternoon plus a bit of filtered sun later in the afternoon. The plant has elongated a bit but not enough yet to declare it a definite climber. We are approaching mid winter so that might be slowing it down a bit. The roots look strange, dark and wiry. Unlike most other Philos I have. But it seems happy where it is. It's very close to a sprinkler so gets a big deluge twice a day.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

That is SO cool!

Any sign of aerial root development?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was in the store the other day where I bought mine. They had a lot more but none flowering. The stems were a lot longer on those, definitely climbers. And they had the same wiry black roots that mine has. So I'm not only looking forward to see mine flowering again, but also flowering up and down the tree trunk.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

AWESOME!!

Self header types(that IS a self header,isn't it?)climb too...a "tree" philodendron which I used to think of as a terrestrial turns out to be an epiphyte eventually if it didn't start out that way.

Here's the part I'm not entirely clear on...If I got it right,..the philo selloum actually extends rope like aerials that after they get ahold of a tree the root contracts or something effectively hauling the entire plant up into the canopy. Anyone else heard of this?

Meanwhile the idea of your philo after a few years of having it's own tree to climb makes me wonder if the leaves go through any changes.

It really looks happy there. :)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think those are called semi- or hemi- epiphytes, they retain a connection to the ground. The thing with the aerial roots is that they pull the plant against the trunk rather than just up the tree.

Amydriums will send out runners along the ground forming small juvenile plants probably as 'feeding stations' along the way. Then they go up tree trunks and apparently the adult plants only grow from the runner when it gets higher up in the tree.

• D007user
    10 years ago

Very beautiful!

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another update on the Philo. Looks like it's flowering again. Just to the left of the new leaf you can see the spathe coming up. It hasn't really gained much height since last time, but is looking 'happy'. Tomorrow is the official last day of winter, so I'm looking happier too.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another update on the Philo. Looks like it's flowering again. Just to the left of the new leaf you can see the spathe coming up. It hasn't really gained much height since last time, but is looking 'happy'. Tomorrow is the official last day of winter, so I'm looking happier too.

{{!gwi}}

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Curse of the Double Post!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by tropicbreezent on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 21:01

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Happy spring!

feels kinda weird saying that with winter around the corner back here in the states,but glad for you :)

REALLY thankful for the update.
    Your's is looking SO good and obviously is so happy where it's at that it's content to flower yet again.
    that is so cool!
    As it so happens just this morning I potted a newly purchased philo(of some type...a positive id would be sweet)in with one of my established philo bips and I like the effect so much that I'm thinking about adding another philo to the mix...my erubescens would just set it off I'll bet! Naturally this one will require staking and it occurs to me that in time that stake(provided it holds up over time and doesn't rot)will come in handy for all three philos and not just the vine.
    Would love your opinion/advice on this!

This is what it looks like so far...

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County