Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long for Shamrock germination?

Posted by debodun (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 9:31

A friend gave me a corm of what she said was a shamrock. I planted it 3 weeks ago in a plastic pot and commercial potting soil. I've kept the pot warm, but haven't seen any evidence germination. I wanted to know how long shamrocks take to germinate. I looked on the Internet, but all give instructions on how to cultivate, but no germination times given. My friend says hers germinated and sent me a photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long for Shamrock germination?

I would give it more time..... Im shure when you say shamrock you are talking about is Oxalis regenelli (I might not be spelling this properly)

o

Mine took about a week during snow in a shaded window this month.

o

What you have been given, being a corm, will not strictly speaking 'germinate'. That means a seedling emerging from a seed. Your corm is already an Oxalis plant - it's just that it's dormant at the moment. So however long it takes to sprout it will do so unless you do something really drastic to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxalis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here