Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dried out peace lilly - drooping

Posted by organic_remo (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 9:37

Hi.

I have this peace lilly which I normally water once a week or so. It's not in direct sunlight.

Was out of town longer than expected (closer to 2 weeks) and when I got back the leaves were dropping significantly. I quickly gave it a good watering 2 days ago and some of the leaves have perked up a little).

I watered and misted it (sprayed the leaves) yesterday. The soil is damp to the touch at the moment.

If I get it hydrated enoough would these still green leaves that are bent over straighten back up? Or will they continue to droop like this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I've looked at other messages but none had pictures so thought posting this with a picture would be best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dried out peace lilly - drooping

Just keep on watering it. it will come back up

o

Awww, so sorry, looks like it was really full and pretty. If it perked up a bit, there's still life there. Some of the leaves may be lost, probably too early to draw any conclusions. Just don't overwater it now, that would just add insult to injury.

o

Just water as usual. If we are dehydrated we cannot drink too much too fast or it will cause us harm, the same goes for plants. Just keep testing the soil. Most of the plant should comeback in time.

In the future if you go out of town for a bit you could buy a self watering globe from a dollar store or the like. Works great!

Tuck

o

I heartily concur with the above comments:

1) Man, that sucks about the damage. D': I've been there. My peace lily is an offset from a a plant older than I am by a year, and dates to the funeral of my great-grandmother. So it's intensely sentimental, but also just brings me joy to see it happy and fluffy.

2) Don't overcompensate with watering now! I've also been there. It won't help, and would quite likely hurt. Please heed Tuck's advice to water as you normally would.

o

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've done that to mine and I didn't even leave town. Unless the stems are kinked, they will come back up.

Do not overwater.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here