Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topbird_gw

Please identify my plant

Topbird
13 years ago

I bought this plant at Walmart. They called it the plant you cannot kill. Everyone loves it and wants some when I repot, but I don't know the real name. Can anyone please help me out?

http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k533/topbird01/

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Looks to be a ZZ plant - Zamioculcas zamiifolia.

Josh

• Topbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much! Now I can tell people wha this is.

• Joe1980
    13 years ago

Josh is 100% correct, it's a ZeeZee plant. I wouldn't say you can't kill it, because it's easy to kill. Overwatering is detrimental to the ZeeZee plant, so treat it as a succulent, and also, good luck giving any divisions to people. It's a slow growing plant, so it's not easy to part ways with any of it, let alone cut the roots! It has a strange root system as well, with succulent tuber-like things, and can prove VERY difficult to repot if you let it get pot bound in a pot with an inset rim. I've had mine for about 5 years now, and it has only put out a flush of growth 2 times, but the growth was significant.

• Topbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Joel. I divided it when I first bought it because my Mom wanted some. I separated a clump of the tubers and potted for her. Both of ours are doing well. My plant put out five new shoots this winter. After greenman told me what the name was, I googled it to see if there was anything about it I didn't already know. One site said you can produce new plants by rooting its leaves, so I am going to try that so I don't have to give up any of my stalks. Too many people at the office want some of it. I really appreciate your and greenman's help.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I have an idea for you Topbird, go out & buy one more ZZ plant & then let your office colleagues split it up among themselves to maybe 1 division each.

I suggest this because I've grown ZZ from single leaves, & it takes a LONG time, as much as a year per leaf, don't know if you know this.

How nice that you wish to help everybody w/ some, but I'd step back a bit & let them share a plant for themselves.

• Topbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a great idea about buying another one for them to divide. But I haven't been able to find any anywhere, which is why I needed someone to identify it. My Mom and I loved it so much that I went back to get another...all gone. We haven't seen anything like this plant anywhere before this one. I thought I saved the care card that also had the name on it, but I can't find it. At least now that I know its name, I can ask around and maybe someone will have it.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Further to that effort, its botanical name is Zamioculcus Zamifolia, hence ZZ.

Don't know where in the U.S. you are, but I've seen ZZs in the Home Depot (NYC, Chelsea) as recently as last week.

Cool that you're this excited about this plant, it's pretty carefree as long as one doesn't overwater it. In my experience, it has growth spurts in September & February, tho' this year mine had growth spurts this past December.

• Topbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks pirate girl. I will look in our Home Depot. I'm in Delaware. Earlier this week, I saw that one of my office mates who wants some of my plant, actually had a small zz on top of her filing cabinet. She said it was her houasemate's and a co-worker had repotted it for her. I told her that was a much smaller version of my plant that she wants and told her I would be looking for one to buy for everyone who wants a piece to split up...I'm not giving any of mine up now that it is getting big. I really appreciate everyone's help and advice on this. I actually left my zz in a dark room with no water for 9 months not long after I bought it. It was an accident. I forgot I put it there. It survived with no ill effects. I knew it was a succulent since it survived with no water for 9 months! (well also by the appearance of the stalks.)
    Thanks again to all who helped.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Happy to help, any time. Do come on back sometime w/ pix, we'd like to see what develops.