Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ok..Time to see your Philodrendrons! Please, what do you have?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 9:42

Since I now know the difference between Pothos and Philo's,, I thought I would share what I think is the right plants since I have been growing them for quite sometime..

I love them all..They are so easy to care for and I find some not so easy to find...They never disappoint me in the smile category..Colorings of yellow, lime, orange, pink, reds, striped, variegated, whites, florescent and just plain ole green.

Let's see what you have.

photo DSCF6261_zps47fe8736.jpg

photo DSCF6260_zps9b20e186.jpg

photo DSCF6259_zpsa23b154c.jpg

photo DSCF6258_zpsbb773b17.jpg

photo DSCF6257_zpsa5f4adf0.jpg

photo DSCF6256_zps8454c3f5.jpg

photo DSCF6255_zps83b11ef5.jpg

photo DSCF6254_zpsbd79f223.jpg

photo DSCF6253_zpsc27843f9.jpg

photo DSCF6252_zps9e6ffb4d.jpg

photo DSCF6251_zpsce85d3c1.jpg

photo DSCF6250_zpsa724c1b8.jpg

photo DSCF6249_zps84cc4141.jpg

photo DSCF6248_zps8a95fbee.jpg

photo DSCF6247_zps422a6a2d.jpg

Oops! Accidently posted this one. ha

photo DSCF6246_zps8ef4973c.jpg

photo DSCF6245_zpsfb6f7b57.jpg

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 9:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ok..Time to see your Philodrendrons! Please, what do you have

I have only a few.............
 photo PhiloPriceOfOrange.jpg

photo PhiloPinkPrincess2.jpg

photo PhilodendronBipinnatifidumLeaf2.jpg

o

Not very photogenic right now as I let phototropism plaster my tree philo to the window to give room to the plants I need to overwinter. I rotate it each spring. Had this philo since 1979.

tj

o

Beautiful Mike!!!

Always a pleasure to see your beauties!

Tj... Looking good too!!! Sweet!!!

Have a great night!!

Laura

o

Geez, I had no idea you'd gotten so many of those, Mike! Wow, hahaha. And, Tsuga, that's a monster alright! Great color on yours, too, Elkay.

Mike, is that first plant a variegated Monstera or a Philo? And is that last plant a variegated Wandering Jew? Awesome! I might have to beg a cutting of that....my friends and family all have a Wandering Jew cutting from the same "parent" plant.

Hello, Laura!

Josh

o

I only have several pots of heart philodendron, you can see one of them in my Notable Plants discussion

o

Tsugajunkie, that Tree Philo looks quite impressive, quite a jaw dropper for anyone entering that room.

o

Thanks laura and josh.

tropicbreezent- you don't think its overpowering, do you? lol

I used to have a 25 year old shefflera that went to the ceiling in another corner but it gave up the ghost about 3 years ago. The room is out of balance now...gonna have to work on that.

tj

o

Tj..My goodness...lol..I never saw such a huge one like that even in the wild..It's amazing...That poinsetta is to die for..Good job

Laura and Josh..Thank you. You're both two kind....Hope you guys are doing well..Josh if you would like snippings, not a problem-)

Elkay..What a beautiful pink color..How in the world do you grow a plant like that in a home environment? I never had luck with those..Love it.

Mike

o

Awesome plants! These are my most fantastic Philos @ the moment. Most of mine are in recovery from sunburn and/or too-cold temps. These awesome pics inspire me to pay more attention.

o

I think this pot is noteworthy for the sheer mass of it, in a 5-gallon bucket on a metal & wood home-rigged combo trellis.

o

Hi, if I may ask, what is the difference in Pothos and Philo's? They look very similiar to me. Thanks!

o

They are from different genuses, Philodendron and Epipremnum (the Pothos.) With poor "reference" sites like this out there, it's easy to get confused. The plant pictured at the link is Pothos, Epipremnum. Scientific names are always in Latin. There are MANY different Philodendrons, literally almost 1,000 different species, with many different shapes, sizes, and colors of leaf. Some are vines, some are more like an upright shrub. Epipremnum genus has just a few species, all are all vines, similar looking, with various variegation varieties available.

o

I see, thanks. :)

o

Mike my Blue philo

o

There's about 600 to 700 species of Philodendrons, and probably 1000's of cultivars and hybrids. They come from the New World tropics. There's only 15 species of Epipremnum, they're from the Old World tropics. Some Epipremnum have solid leaves, some with splits, and some with fern-like leaves. Pothos is actually a totally different genus of about 56 species that come from the Old World tropics.

o

Dusty P. bipinnatifidum, still in diapers. It was dormant from getting cold when I got it late 2012. Then (of course) I sunburned it. It's going to POP this summer, I can tell!

o

Got this gorgeous NOID over the weekend. It was an accident, displayed on the sidewalk of the store NEXT to the one I was going to. There were 3. The other 2 had slightly larger leaves and BLOOMS but only 1 growth point. I went with this one which doesn't look as mature, but has 3-4 growth points. They're so close together, I'm not totally sure. Will find out in a few weeks when it gets a new pot. Anyone who hasn't felt the thick yet silky luxury of a Philo leaf just hasn't lived yet!

o

My goodness everyone...

Your Philo's are amazing...I never realized how many different kinds there were...I have seen many in the wild too, but not as nice as some of them here.

Purple...You always seem to get the nicest of colors! Rainbows at your place for sure. Love the lime and reds crawling up that trellis in the pots..

Woodnative..I never heard of blue before...Wow.

Tropicbreeze..That's news to me. Thanks for the facts..There must be some beauts out there other than the ordinary that we see sold at stores..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here