Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

ok..Time to see your Philodrendrons! Please, what do you have?

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

Since I now know the difference between Pothos and Philo's,, I thought I would share what I think is the right plants since I have been growing them for quite sometime..

I love them all..They are so easy to care for and I find some not so easy to find...They never disappoint me in the smile category..Colorings of yellow, lime, orange, pink, reds, striped, variegated, whites, florescent and just plain ole green.

Let's see what you have.

Oops! Accidently posted this one. ha

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 9:43

Comments (73)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

My 'Black Cardinal' Philo is making another bud. On the left here.

Looking closer, it's on the R here. I pulled off most of the sheath of the new, yet unrolled leaf because it was confusing the pic.

• jentsu926
    8 years ago

So, dumb question. Are most all philodendrons pretty hardy and tolerant, much like the heartleaf variety? If so, I might look for one of the less common ones. It seems I lean toward vining plants lately, perhaps due to their "un-killability." Need something different, more upright, but not tree-like (itty bitty apartment).

• barbmock
    8 years ago

This one is Xanadu. Stush sent it to me as a young sprout, now it's really growing. Thanks Stush!

8 years ago

Very pretty, Barb!

Jentsu, P. bipinnatifidum is the most hardy Philo, AFAIK, from about Z9+, but shouldn't be an issue if you're in an apartment.

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

8 years ago

Pretty, Jamila!

Bud hasn't opened yet, but getting fat at the bottom.

• gardenfanatic2003
    8 years ago

Elkay, where did you get your Pink Princess?

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Chris, had I known you had that Philo I would have humbly requested a clipping from it. Do you still have it? I'm sure it's pretty big by now? Or was it one of the winter "culls"?

8 years ago

Just realized I forgot to come back with the pic of the open bloom. It was 9/2.

8 years ago

Same plant, 'Black Cardinal.' Pot has 3 individuals. Now 2 of them have buds forming at the same time.

8 years ago

There are a total of 3 buds now. One stem is making 2 at the same time.

Closer view:

• Diana B.
    8 years ago

here is my heart leaf philodendron that is hanging above my vanity in the bedroom. these were cuttings from my grandmother's 40 year old plant that i started back in April, and they are growing rapidly! since my bedroom is facing north west, i hardly get any sunlight. but i have 2 lamps on the vanity that have daylight bulbs and it seems to like the artificial light. i tried to keep them on for about 9 to 16 hours, so it's growing very good... it's also trying to block my big mirror too, lol!

7 years ago

It's been over a year since I showed these 5-gal-bucket pots of Philos. About 2 mos ago I cut about 25 pieces off of the heart-leaf vine on the left to make a bouquet. On the right is P. bipennifolium (horse head,) Monstera obliqua (Swiss cheese vine,) and Epipremnum (Pothos.)

• User
    7 years ago

Potho

s and heart leaf....a few other plants that do good growing in water.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Elkay... That pink princess is a rare sight. Are they as hardy as heart leaf ?

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Heart leaf Philo

Selloum 'Atom'
    Prince of Orange

Brazil

lemon lime

7 years ago

'Micans' has been on this trellis for a few yrs.

A P. bipinnatifidum that I put here a few months ago.

A hanging pot with heart leaf vine (P. scandens/hederaceum/oxycardium.) Also some Begonia coming out of the right side.

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Tiffany I really enjoy looking at your plants!!!

7 years ago

The pot on the right was last shown May '15, has since been repotted 3 mos ago and given a trellis yesterday. Philo erubescens, 'Brazil,' and Pothos.

Closer pic of the bulky part @ the bottom. The pot on the L has more Philodendron toward the back.

It's making mad crazy aerial roots.

• Jasmin Beltran
    7 years ago

Jason

Your plant is a Monstera not a Philodendron :) they are always confused. Very beautiful plant though.

• Laurie (8A)
    7 years ago

Ok, no laughing. This little guy is new to me, and about 6 inches tall. Strong and adorable. It is sort of a premie Monstera deliciosa.

Uh oh, mine too MrsJd. When I look it up it often shows both names. Please inform if I am getting bad information.

7 years ago

Your pic didn't make it, Laurie.

• Kevin Q
    7 years ago

This is mine - only a few months old so expect it to grow absolutely huge.

I planted it before finding this forum and I used pure peat at first :(

It would remain wet for months (because the container is HUGE) and growth pretty much stopped. Other, more sensitive plants probably would have died. Later I saw that the roots also did not grow at all. After I did a repot in 5-1-1 growth slowly resumed and now it's growing at an alarming rate.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Here are two of mine. The big one is in desperate need of a repotting but I'm so afraid to mess it up. The smaller hanging one is a neon pothos with color identity issues.

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Very pretty. If you can find something to hold the stems together or a extra set of hands your repot will be a breeze!!!

My neon Pothos isnt looking so pretty right now. First I sunburned it a few months back and then i forgot to water it til i saw it looking all limp. Now its just thereLOL. Im sure it will bounce back though. I'll probabky cut it up and start over!!!

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Oh, thank you for saying it's pretty! I'm more afraid that I will repot it incorrectly and destroy it. It's so long and the new leaves are growing in neon colored. I'd be so sad to mess it up.

maybe I'll just cut the roots and put it back in the pot....

i have three more neon pothos that are not undergoing that weird color change. I love them so much. I let them go bone dry before watering and they always perk up right away, so maybe yours will be okay. I had two before that I killed from overwatering, so I am paranoid now about watering too much.

They seem to thrive from neglect!

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Just take it out its old pot, rinse all the old potting mix off its rootr, and trim them if needed. Have the new pot ready with your soil mix in the bottom. Put the plant it and cover it withsoil and water it in. It should bounce back and give you more beautiful vigorous growth!!!

7 years ago

Philos, at least the few kinds that I have, are the one kind of plant that don't seem to gain any benefit from being repotted if it is happy. Of course I'd repot an unhappy one, or if I was having to water that plant more often than others, I'd move it to a bigger pot, but otherwise, a healthy Philo is an unbroken thing which I don't try to fix. Much unlike other plants that I do repot before they become ill looking because I know they will reach that state if I don't repot periodically.

OTOH, before I came to this conclusion, I hadn't noticed any ill effects from repotting, or even much adjustment from dropped foliage, so if you just want to, it shouldn't be a thing to fear.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Thank you, Jamila and Tiffany. Tiffany, that was kind of the thing--I was like why repot it? It's doing well. I think a good compromise would be to cut the roots at the bottom and repot it....

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Why do you wanna cut the roots?

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Well, they are coming out the bottom of the pot....

• massey516 (NW Montana z 4b)
    7 years ago

I want to jump in - I love philos and just got a new one. Philodendron Brandi.

Also will post photos of m other philos -

Brasil

Neon

Cream Splash

Variegated (?)

Micans

One of my Heart Leaf (I have 3)

Silver

I was told here (by these nice and well educated folks) this is philodendron erubescens.

philodendron hoffmannii

• massey516 (NW Montana z 4b)
    7 years ago

Another Heart Leaf

Prince of Orange

I think that is it. I just love these plants!

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

That orange one is absolutely beautiful

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

I think this is the very common 'Hope' variety, but not sure.

7 years ago

Found this bloom forming recently

It's on 'Black Cardinal,' the plant on the L. ('Micans' on the R.)

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Lauren that means its time for a repot. You could just trim the roots! I would go ahead abd do a full repot just to freshen up the soil. But the ball is in your court either way!

I hope my question didnt come off rude btw.

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Massey, Debra, and Tiffany your Philo's are beautiful!

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Massey516, your photo labelled "Silver" is of Scindapsus pictus, not a Philodendron.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Hi Jamila, no, it didn't seem rude at all:). I realized that I hadn't quite explained why I wanted to cut the roots! I know it is time for a repot, but can't I just trim the roots and put it back in the pot?

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Yes Lauren you can. I just prefer to do a full repot but to each their own!!!

Are you gonna use fresh soil?

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

I can use fresh soil, that's a good idea. And I'll top dress it a bit as well. Though, I think that once I unpot it , I'll probably want to do a full repot.

Most times, I do a full repot and put into 511 mix, but this plant is so dear to me, I'd be heartbroken if I messed up the repot.

If Al finds out that I am doing this half-cocked kind of planting, both of us will be in for a talking-to. See how I made it "us" instead of "me?" :)

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Its ok I'll take partial blame LOL. I think repotting a Philo now will be ok though. Ive repotted Philos and Pothos in the middle of winter and they kept on growing so I think it will be fine!

Dont be scared repotting is so easy!

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Maybe....I'm a bad repotter though. Although the 511 mix makes it easier and fun because plants perk up so much right away. I might do it. For now, I'll just pretend that it is not a real thing I need to actually do something about. That is usually the way I handle big decisions;).

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

You could look up videos on how to repot. Maybe that will make you feel more comfortable.

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

I just have to show my Heart leaf Philo off. It's grown so much this summer. She's gonna need a new pot soon!

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Wow, what a healthy and pretty plant!

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Thank you!

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

She looks wonderful..