Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Hey guys!!! Rubber tree desperately needs help.

tifflj
11 years ago

Not sure wth I did. I might have let this one go too dry, not even sure. But this is one of my favorite plants and I dont know how to save it. Please help me. The stems are turning brown at the bottom and I have leaf drop...

Comments (11)

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

It looks like you overwatered it. i would letit dry out for a week or so

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

How soon until your plants can bask in those great new windows?

• Tuckamore
    11 years ago

Ive seen this happen during winter months. I had one that was 4' tall get down to a single leaf during a long winter but perk back up and grow very quick once spring started.

These plants are generally quite tolerant so over watering is usually more of a problem than under watering. Place it somewhere warm with lots of light and go easy on the water.

This is what worked for me but Im sure other people here will have different ideas

Goodluck!

Tuck

• Tuckamore
    11 years ago

You got 3 answers in 1 minute, not bad! lol

Tuck

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tiff.. No kidding!! I sure sparked attention. May 1st we close, them my babies will have all that light! Cant wait.

Thanks everyone. I really thought I underwatered it. I left it go for quite a long time..

The internet says it is dying and to cut in the remaining green part above a node and plant in soil and sand... Thoughts?

I certainly know the stems shouldnt turn brown...

• Tuckamore
    11 years ago

Are your stems turning brown or growing "bark"? Its not rare for the green skin of this plant to get a rough covering once it reaches a more mature state.

You seem to have lots of stems there so if you think the plant may be dieing there is no harm in starting a new plant just in case. Thats what I would do. You may even end up with two plants :)

Give it lots of light and let the soil dry out before adding more water

Goodluck!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

If you're pretty sure it was too dry, it's not unusual that it would drop some leaves, and that should also rule out risk of rotting. I wouldn't mess with it until you after you move. Trimming anything will encourage it to grow more, but w/o sufficient light, will need to draw on energy reserves to do so. In a weakened state, propagation success is much less likely, for mama and cuttings. If there isn't enough sun for mama, the cuttings in the same exposure would have little chance, assuming that's an issue, not just got too dry.

The stems should turn brown, it's a tree, just making bark. Do they feel firm or soft/mushy?

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Maybe it did get underwatered. the general cure is to give it regular waterings and shed some light

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Maybe it did get underwatered. the general cure is to give it regular waterings and shed some light

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Dump it out of the pot. If the soil is soggy and smells bad it is rotting.....

Death from being too dry would not cause browing at the soil line. It would be droopy and the new growth would be dried up.