Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calathea rufibarba question (beginner)

Posted by spandexthunder none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 9:43

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to the forum (be gentle...).

I have a great calathea rufibarba that I have had for just under a year - over the past few days it seems to have deteriorated quickly - several of the older leaves have turned dry and crunchy and curled up, other newer leaves are very pale and some even yellow.

I have been watering the plant only when the top of the soil is dry, but have not let it dry out completely. It seemed to cope well with the central heating over the winter and I made sure I misted it regularly.

I have done nothing different in the past weeks which is why I am a little confused over its rapid deterioration.

Can anyone offer any help?
Could it be light (too much, too little?) - it is not situated in bright light, but in a quite shady area.
Could it be water (too much, too little?)
Or is it dreaded root rot?!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calathea rufibarba question (beginner)

Howdy...This winter has been the harshest, coldest and driest ever.

Would you happen to know the humidity in the room your Calathea is placed?

Since leaves are brown and crispy, I think you're not watering enough.

Water thoroughly..until water seeps out of drainage holes.
When soil is slightly dry, give it another drink.

Which direction does your Calathea face, and what's the distance?

Cut brown leaves off..No sense leaving them on..they are unsightly. Believe me, my poor Cals have seen better days.

Do you have a photo? Toni

o

maranta and calathea normally loose old leaves in spring - new leaves grow from a rhizome. you should be able to see some new spikes when temps go up to 70s.

o

Hi, thanks for the replies and apologies for the late response!

Unfortunately I think the plant was beyond saving - I removed all the brown leaves and removed it from the pot to find that the lower half of the soil was still very wet (so I don't think it was underwatering?!) and I suspect it had root rot.....I tried drying out the soil and removing what looked like some of the rotted roots and replaced it in its position (which was south west facing, about 6 feet from the window) and over the following days it deteriorated even further - with the whole plant wilting significantly. I've since abandoned it :( but bought another one.........so, fingers crossed this one will fare better.

@hopefulauthor - I suspect your implication about humidity was the key - since I was (i think) watering it regularly enough I think it was probably just too dry in the room it was in - am looking into a pebble tray for the new plant to help.

Best,

ST

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here