Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Finger Feels Cool/Cold when I stick it in the soil--is it wet?

Posted by Summersoff none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 9:45

Just as the subject says, when the soil feels cool or cold when I put my finger in the soil does that indicate saturated soil?
I know this may be a newbie type question, but I am! I have to learn somewhere haha.
Does dry soil feel warmer than what I'm feeling?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Finger Feels Cool/Cold when I stick it in the soil--is it

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 10:29

Moist soils feel cooler when you stick your finger in them because moisture evaporating from the soil's surface actually cools the soil, so it WILL be cooler than room temp when it's moist. Your finger feels cooler because it's moist when you withdraw it, sand the moisture evaporating from your finger makes it feel cooler - like when you step out of a shower when you're wet.

Water on an 'as needed' basis, not on a schedule, for best results.

Soils begin to feel dry to the touch when they still have about 40% moisture content. Plants can usually extract moisture from soils until the moisture content is 25-30%, some plants even lower than that, so you have a 10-15% built in cush, even after soils feel dry.

You're best served to water about the time the soil feels dry to you, as far as you can stick your finger into the soil. Better still, is to use a sharpened dowel and insert that deep into the soil mass. If it comes out cool/dirty - no need to water. If your plants are small, hefting the pot can be a useful way to gauge moisture content. Use some discretion, because even though the plants can extract moisture down to the 25-30% moisture content level, bark/peat-based soils become hydrophobic (difficult to rewet) as they pass below about 30% moisture content.

Al

o
RE: My Finger Feels Cool/Cold when I stick it in the soil--is it

great answer, AL, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here