Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadefalcon_gw

Peace Lily and the Cold.

jadefalcon
10 years ago

I carried in a Peace Lily to work today, it was outside in freezing temperatures for no more than a minute and unfortunately it looks wilted. Does it stand a chance or should I get a new plant?

Comments (6)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

If the leaves are as black as the pic shows, then those leaves are toast. The good news is that they are tough and if the center of the individual plants are green, then the plant will recover after a time.

Allow the leaves to dry by them selves, then cut the stems of the dead leaves. This will allow light to get to the living parts. The baby the plant. Good light, warmth, and water. If you were planning to put it on a desk with only florescent lighting from the ceiling, not so good. This will increase the recovery time and will result in a very etiolated plant. Good sunlight for a few weeks will regrow a nice plant. Good luck.

• jadefalcon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info; I'll take it home and see if I can nurse it back to good health. Quick question: you reference cutting the stems, do you cut them at the top of the leaf, or down at the bottom near the "knot"? Based on several hours of the poor plant sitting here I don't know if any of the leaves will survive; will cutting all the leaves kill the plant or will the leaves still grow back without any existing leaves? Thanks!

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

Are you sure it wilted because of the cold? Peace lily wilts quickly if it gets too dry OR if it is overwatered and the roots rot. Are you sure that neither of those are the cause?

If this is a fairly new plant, I would be concerned that watering problems might be the real culprit of this, since watering peace lilies can be a tricky balance.

Regardless, even if it was from cold damage, I doubt that the cold was enough to kill it if it was literally only a minute. Most plants' roots can survive colder temps than their foliage and they will regrow from the roots.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

There is always a chance.
    No reason not to give it a chance. Cut off the blackened leaves at the base, where the leaf stem emerges from the crown. (Just as an aside, one never cuts a leaf in such a way as to leave a naked stem sticking there.) And I do think this is cold damage. It must have been REALLY cold, or it was out longer than you thought, but when the temp is down in the teens, a minute or two will do it. Wilt from lack of moisture or too much moisture would show leaves with brown tips, or yellowing. Also the plant doesn't look healthy and green one day, and wilted the next.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

The leaves are very thin and cold penetrates very rapidly especially at extremely cold temperatures. And for a Peace Lily anywhere near freezing is extremely cold. I agree with theficuswrangler, black suggests tissue damage rather than drying or over watering. The roots and base of the plant would have been more insulated and be more likely to survive. As you're going into the growing season it's always worth waiting to see how it goes.

• jadefalcon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I took this home and cut the leaves off, do I cut all the way down at the "knot"? I left about 1" of stem but reading all your comments I need to cut more it appears. Thanks for all your help!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH