Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lunaria annua (silver dollar plant)

Posted by Tuckamore none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 9:57

I know this is an outdoor plant, but has anyone had any experience with growing this plant as a houseplant?

I had quite a few seeds so I am going to pot some, be nice if someone can give me some pointers

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lunaria annua (silver dollar plant)

I dont see how that be possible. i personally think they are best left outside

o

As I said Im in a northern region so I have quite a bit of a wait until growing season.

I know they will grow inside, just wondering how well they will grow.

I know a lady that grew an orange tree inside her home that produced an orange, this tree was an indoor tree only; and it was given no special treatment.

So I figure if an orange can grow, why not these guys? lol

Ive grown other "outdoor" plants inside before and they did quite well.

Anyway, no harm in trying!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 17:35

It's a biennial, so it will take 2 years to fruit, which means it will want a cool rest for the first winter and will die after it fruits. .... can't hurt to try.

Al

o

Tuck,

If you have the seeds, why not try?

One problem growing annuals and biennials indoors is spider mites.
Marigolds grow indoors, too, but during winter there's a good chance they'll end up with mites before flowers.
But, growing garden plants indoors isn't an imposibility.

Lack of light and fresh air are other problems.

o

Thanks for the advice!

The thing I love about growing things is the challenge, thats why I always like to try new plants and see how they will react to different conditions.

sometimes you win, sometimes you lose..

Tuck

o

Hi Tuck - did you end up trying this out? Just curious how it worked out. I have some seeds laying around as well and was thinking of giving this a go. Any hints/tips?
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here