Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

mangos from seed

marricgardens
11 years ago

I have managed to get 2 mangos to germinate, one is about 2.5" and the other is about an inch taller. Leaves have a nice reddish tinge to them. The last seed I got was from a mango that was starting to go soft. I broke open the pod (I used a bread and butter knife hoping to not slice my hand open) and the seed was already starting to sprout! I potted it up and will hopefully have another in about 2 weeks. Has anyone ever grown these before? What was your experience with growing it? Marg

Comments (11)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Hi Marg

I'm sure you likely already know this but in case you don't,the skin,sap,leaves and stems can cause an allergic reaction similar to poison ivy. I've had it before and it's not a lot of fun. Gloves would be advisable.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I've experimented many times with mangoes. They start out so pretty but do not make a willing houseplant. By the way, allergic reactions are pretty rare...you must be in the majority to have escaped the wrath of the rash. Gloves (disposable) not a bad idea, though.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I've experimented many times with mangoes. They start out so pretty but do not make a willing houseplant. By the way, allergic reactions are pretty rare...you must be in the majority to have escaped the wrath of the rash. Gloves (disposable) not a bad idea, though.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've read about the rash but I figured I had poison ivy so many times when I was a kid I'm probably immune to it! Thanks for the warning tho. Marg

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Really, SleepintheG? I've dealt w/ Mangoes most of my life & never had any problem, never heard any caution. This is the first I've heard of this.

I ate one a couple of hrs. ago, w/ no special handling.

As to growing them, they're cool to grow, but yes, they DO become uncooperative (indoors in container). Mine often turned buggy when getting more than 4-6" tall or so.

I have tried it 4-5 times 'cause they go through cool color changes that I rather enjoyed, apricot colored, to burgundy, to chartreuse green & then finally to ordinary 'leaf' green we all know.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Allegy to mangos can be a serious problem to some people. But the majority aren't affected, or sometimes insignificantly affected that they don't realise.

Mangos like full sun, so indoors they wouldn't be very happy. The occasional trip outdoors during summer wouldn't really substitute. For sprouting there's no need to cut the husk away.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Anacardiaceae happens to be the same family as poison ivy.

...Go figure!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I tried this years ago. The stone is huge! But nothing happened.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Hey Larry

Try a big ziplock bag or a large jar with a bit of evenly moist soil in it. Drop the stone on top of it,seal it up and forget about it for a while. The times that I've made the attempt before I'd say I've had about a 50% success rate using this method.

As mentioned further up the thread they aren't the best candidates for a houseplant though.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry, I took the large seed shell and the seed is inside. If your mango is soft, chances are your mango seed is already growing! I have 3 growing and just finished planting another. There are some good videos of You Tube that got me interested in trying to grow them. There's also one on pruning when it gets to tall. Marg

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I've always split the pit open & taken the seed out to plant, almost always germinates. Odd thing is I never knew how to position it in planting & it always ended up turning itself or growing up first & then down, very weird, but really a fun plant to watch until it gets annoying.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH