Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is 5:1:1 soil mix?

Posted by Lamora 8a WA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 10:24

Hi, I have read in several different places about this mix, but cannot find exactly what it is. Can someone please tell me? it is good for an "all around" soil mix for most plants?
I was just wondering is all. :)

Marjie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is 5:1:1 soil mix?

for indoor plants of course-- :)

o

Marjie

didn't you just ask this same question on Container forum?

o

lol yeah-- I did-- thought I was here.. been up since 6, on only maybe 5 hrs sleep-- sorry for the confusion.. I normally ask here first.

o

Al (Tapla) has several very informative articles on soil mixes, fertilizing and other information on container gardening. Follow the link at the end of this post to get yourself started. In short, the 511 mix consists of sifted bark, turface and peat in 5:1:1 ratio. This mix provides ideal condition for roots of container plants for its water, air and nutrients requirements. There are several variations of this basic mix adapted to different types of plants. The posts in container forum will provide you with the testimonies, where/how to get components, adaptations, the science and tons of other good info to keep you busy.

Although, I have not used the exact mix myself but I have used similar mixes before and this year I am going to follow this excellent recipe for some of my plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil mixes and water movement article by Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 13:05

ToC almost had it right. The 5:1:1 mix is 5 parts of pine bark fines and one part each of perlite and sphagnum peat moss. Dry, it looks like what you see in the middle of this picture.
Photobucket
The bark you see at 6 and 9 o'clock are what I use for the 5:1:1 mix.

Actually, the gritty mix is better for houseplants than the 5:1:1 mix, but either work exceptionally well & offer an oxygen rich and well aerated root environment. The gritty mix is one part each of screened Turface, crushed granite, and screened pine or fir bark. You can see the fir bark at the top of the picture above, and the gritty mix is pictured below. I grow all my houseplants in the gritty mix.
Photobucket

You'll find a LOT more information at the thread ToC linked you to. If you have questions, ask them wherever you want - at the soil thread or at either of your threads & I'm sure you'll get good answers.

Take care.

Al

o

Marjie:

If you use the Garden Web search engine it will get your answers to you immediately. The home page actually requests searching before posting questions. You have the option of searching specific forums or the entire Garden Web.

I have use the search engine and it has kept me from asking a question already answered.

Welcome to the Garden Web.

Linda

o

Thanks-- I put that link in my favorites, will defiantly read it when my head doesn't hurt so bad. :(

Linda-- I will try to remember to use the search more often. I am not good at finding what I am looking for tho, but I will try. :)

Will have to try it next time I re-soil my plants.. not anytime soon.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate all of you-- :)

o

ToC almost had it right. The 5:1:1 mix is 5 parts of pine bark fines and one part each of perlite and sphagnum peat moss.

My bad. I was in the process of making gritty mix myself and turface was stuck in my head.

o

Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 16:06

No problem; no harm, no foul. ;-)

Al

o

Thanks for the info and the link.. a lot to take in. better read it a few times. :)

I heard somewhere that the "bark" you get from pet stores is a good bark also? Something about being cheaper too? Or did I misread that.. I can't find it now where I thought I read it. Tried looking it up and can't find anything.. I was just wanting to make sure if it was ok or not.

My Daughter has some leftover bark from her snakes that she said I could have. That is why I am asking.. :)

Marjie

o

Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 13:22

You can't beat 'free', but the type of fir bark you're getting is usually combined with Turface & granite to make the gritty mix -
Photobucket

an Impatiens repens bonsai wannabe - needs a crown developed:
Photobucket

Al

o

Marj...Bark sold at pet stores is NOT cheaper.
My son has a 3-4 yr old Iguana. Pet store bark went from 17.99 to 21.99 the last six-months. A small bag, to boot.

I use Orchid Bark to mix..it's still not 'cheap,' but less expensive, by 1/5th than pet store bark.. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here