Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cat pee

Posted by lunadecasa (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 10:35

My cat has taken to peeing in & spraying around several of my many houseplants.....what can I do/use to stop her and get rid of the smell in the soil. I am very diligent about cleaning the areas but she keeps going back to them.
She does use the litter box so it's not like she doesn't know where it is...........thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cat pee

keep a spray bottles filled w/ water all over the house so you can grab them quickly & squirt her from afar whenever she even looks like she's thinking about the plants.

since cats hate to be wet, she'll soon stop this behavior. danzer2.

o

• Posted by ara133 central PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 11:29

The water spraying idea is a good one...

Also, you could try crumpling up large pieces of foil and putting them in the pots, most cats don't like to walk on it. Screening material (cut a round piece, then you can cut a slit in it and a hole in the middle, like a Christmas tree skirt, to put it around the plant stem) can also work.

If the plants are suffering from the cat pee you could try adding a little bit of vinegar to correct the pH...

For covering up the smell, most cats hate citrus so after you clean everything, maybe use some citrus car spray (my fiance has one and it smells really LOUD, so as long as your room isn't too small... ha ha!)? My parents gave me some stuff called X-O (I looked it up, here's a link: http://www.xocorp.com/) - that stuff is really effective at getting rid of odors.

Then of course there's the traditional cat odor cover up for carpet mistakes (I've used mine up so I don't remember the brand... green bottle) - I bet that would work as well.

Good luck!!

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 11:49

Can you take your plants to a sink (other than kitchen :)) and fill them to the brim with water several times over until you've flushed the urine from the soil?

The is a product called Boundary that is an effective indoor/outdoor cat repellent you could spray on the outside of your pots - it's likely your cat would steer clear of your potted plants. My neighbor bought it when she brought home a new cat, and her resident neutered Persian became territorial and began spraying on her $$$Persian carpet.

I tried the Boundary (about $11 where pet supplies are sold, PetSmart, PetCo etc) on the large planters on my front porch, also sprayed the top stair...no more cats on my porch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here