Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to repot a cyclamen?

Posted by kimkitchy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 10:49

Hi,
I've had a red cyclamen in a 4 inch pot on my kitchen widow sill for years. It blooms profusely and we really enjoy it. Now, it has become rather "stalky" and has two "stalks". I'd like to repot it, but am afraid of killing it. I don't really want a bigger pot because I love that it fits on the window sill. Should I repot it? If so, what is the best time of year to do it? If so, what is the best way to repot it without harming it?
Thanks!
-Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to repot a cyclamen?

Since a Cyclamen is a bulb/tuber, I imagine that you'd treat it like other bulbs/tubers.
I wait until the plant is dormant - which seems to be during the hot, late summer for me.
Last summer, I transplanted a white cyclamen in the yard, and it is now opening its flowers.

Re-pot when it gets a bit bedraggled, water, and it should stir back to life.

Josh

o

OK. But, maybe my question is even more basic. What do I do about the "stalkiness"? Do I break off half the roots in order to bury the stalk in the same size (4 inch pot) and still have some roots? Or do I break off the top and stick just the stalk in the soil, hoping the stalk sprouts roots? Or do I break off the top and repot just the tuber? The stalkiness is kind of ugly. How best do I repot it?

o

When it dies back as it gets warmer cut all the foliage off. Don't worry about the "stalkiness". That usually means not enough light. When it starts to grow again later on give it a bit more light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here