• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Draven 31st July 08....

{{gwi:77002}}

How are yours doing?

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Yes, but mine was a tiny (maybe 4 inches tall) when I bought it and it still is. I grow it in my table top terrarium. It was doing well, until I let it go without water for a day or two longer than I should have. It lost its leaves then, however new green buds are sprouting.

Sarah

• v1rt
    15 years ago

Good morning folks! This thread was sent to me by sewobsessed. I'm auditioning my poinsettia, hehehe. :) I'm not sure if it's going to be 1 yr old this coming December or 2. I'll ask my wife when she gets home.

{{gwi:77003}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice to have you here v1rtu0s1ty...

I always Class the Year you bought your Poinsettia as Year 1, so yours would be classed as 2 this coming year if you used the systum sp? I use, hope that makes Some sort of sense...

• v1rt
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't know what systum sp is.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I can't Spell it's System, my Method of working out ages of Points...

• tootswisc
    15 years ago

Mine does not look very good. Can I still pinch it back?

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, but DO NOT Pinch after the 1st of September... Please can you post a photo of yours
    Thanks

• v1rt
    15 years ago

which part needs to be pinched and when does pinching need to be done and also why?

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • koicool1
    15 years ago

Hey is everyone gearing up for the six week marathon of dark/light at the end of this month? I think I will try it. my point is approx. 2 ft tall right now and thriving.

Nine, didn't I, at some point, here you say that you start your dark/light cycle on the 25th of this month? maybe I will try that too. I will post a pic in a while of my point.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

koicool1 in lots of Re bloom adive it says Start Light Control on the 1st of Oct, I do mine from the 25th of Sept and get Good Results
    Hope that Helps
    NC

• kelly6780
    15 years ago

Ok...I'll be honest. I haven't read all the posts (there's a bunch!) But, at some point this summer somebody (dh) put my poinsettia (from Christmas 2006 actually) outside under our deck. Before that, it had the tiniest little red leaves on it. It wasn't what you typically think of for a poinsettia, but I really liked it. However, being outside all summer, in lots of shade, the leaves have turned back to green (NOT fallen off, just turned color) the leaves have gotten a lot bigger (by about three inches) and it has grown a lot more leaves. I guess this was ok for it. I'm in SE MO, should I have always been putting this guy outside in the summers? EXTREMELY humid here...very hot...periods of drought, then rain, then drought again (sheesh!). Anyway, what's the story here?!?

• starmomma
    15 years ago

For the first time I have managed to save a poinsettia from Christmas '08. But just last week (third week in August) all the leaves feel off. It was weird because they basically all fell off within a week. Has it died? Is there any hope? I realize it probably won't be ready for Christmas but could I revive it?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Kelly,

I live FL and its very humid also, I leave mine outside almost all year...I bring them in when the temps get down in the low 50's at night. Mine don't like the direct afternoon sun in the spring/summer, so I have it underneath my palm trees. It gets filtered light. If you want it to turn red around Dec. You will have to do the darkening ritual starting appx. Oct 1st for about 10-12 weeks till you see some the leaves turn red. Here's a link I posted that gives you some great information on how to
    Re-bloom your poinsettia.

Star, I'm sorry your plant's leaves fell off, can't be sure what might have caused that? You can pull your plant out of the pot and check the roots. Sometimes root rot can occur when the soil stays wet ,especially if the soil has a lot of peat and doesn't drain well. I would give it about 4-5 weeks and see if you get some new growths before I give up on it...good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reblooming Poinsettias

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm continuing Light Control because I was away for 2 weeks and as there has been NO lighting in my flat I'm Sure that Draven initiated (Started to produce Coloured Bracts/Flowers) and if I stop now He'll split... *Sigh*
    NC

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Draven is on the Colour up....

His top leaves have gone that pale green with the Dark Red veins, which he goes just before he changes.
    Photos to Follow...

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Ninecrow, that was FAST!! You will have a very early Poinsettia this year. Looking forward to photos...

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Hi ninecrow and puglvr1,
    I still have my 05 and 07 poinsettias, but that seed pod came to a bad end. Someone trashed it, cleaning our fridge! Yeah I'm kind of choked, but I can always try again.
    Looking forward to covering the two plants pretty quick! They are really healthy, and have dark green leaves.[been fertilizing all summer]
    Thats great, Ninecrow, that your Draven is coloring up!! can't wait to see the pics!
    by for now, beet

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hey beetle, sorry to hear about your seed pod, :o(
    Congrats on your points, keep us posted!

I have a nice one that I planted in the ground last Christmas, its really filled out nicely...I will have to cover that one up because I have solar lights close to it and will interrupt the darkening process.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:77004}}

Draven today....

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Nice! I'm still around by the way. My 2 year old small poinsettia is in the west picture window in bright filtered sun. I'm not going to go nuts this year trying to make it color up, I'll let nature do what it wants this year and ope for a little color. I like them anyway as foliage plants.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Draven has 1st COLOUR, just a Blush but it's there.... YAY!!!!!!
    I was bring him out of his box this Morn and that's when I saw it!
    I'm SO Pleased
    NC

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

YAY! Go Draven!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:77005}}

Draven as of today the 17th of Oct 08
    WOOOHOOOT!!!!!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Woot indeed!

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Looking Great,nine!!! Mine are just beginning to blush.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Way to go Draven!! Nice work Ninecrow!!

Nothing on this end yet, I had to leave for a week on family reunion...couldn't start the darkening process till I came back, we'll see what happens? I have a pretty big one that I planted in the ground next to my house, I hope that one colors up?

Congrats!!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Update on my two points...I've had both of these since Dec.06, so its the third year for both of these for me...Starting to turn a little color

Carousel Pointsettia...some of the leaves are curly/curvy
    {{gwi:77006}}
    My Regular Red...
    {{gwi:77007}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:77009}}

Draven as of today the 5th of Nov...
    A Lot more colour

• ty_mn1
    15 years ago

Hello All! IÂm another newbie, this past weekend, while recovering from bad head cold and lots of time on my hands, decided to search the web for information on getting the 2nd yr poinsettias to bloom again. This one pictured is a rescue from the folkÂs house, after my motherÂs passing; believe it was a poinsettia that she bought at ShopKo/WalMart for the dinning room table at Christmas time of 2007. It was very sad when I took it home(April-ish), 60% of the leaves had dropped.
    What interested me is, that I heard a radio show Dec 2007 from WCCO AM Radio and a GertenÂs Rep talking about Points. And a lady in her sixties called in and said her point was turning 40+ odd years old and had reached the ceiling of her living room (9Â floor to ceiling). This lady called asking when/how to prune it. The give an answer and asked if she or someone she knows could email in a picture of the plant. I have been searching the web for similar image or that one, but, have not found one. And I came across this and previous yearÂs thread.
    This point was in itÂs original 6x6" pot most of the summer. Think around last week of July, it was transplanted to the container its in now. A pot that is roughly 11inches high by 10 inch diameter filled with soil from west side flower bed of the house. Then used fertilizer, Miracle Grow, about thee times from the transplanting to mid-September. With all of my backyards trees shading the deck & driveway area, I would move the plant out to sunny spots way in the rear of the property or south side of the garage, rotating every few days, or bring back to the deck when serve weather threaten. Believe I finally moved it inside around the fourth week of September, avoiding two or three frosting nights of the month. Have done thing special so far, as the darkness treatment goes. Will I need to start covering it with a box at night? And doing so, will this help it produce the colored leaves? Or is it good enough as the red coloring is just beginning to show.

1){{gwi:77011}}

2){{gwi:77013}}

3){{gwi:77015}}

Thanks,
    -Steve

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Steve,

Welcome! My sympathies on your Mom's passing...

If it were mine, I would continue the darkening process for at least another 2-4 weeks, till at least 50-60% of the leaves have turned red. You can either use a box, or get a very light weight black fabric and cover it for at least 12-14 hours at night. You can also put it in a dark closet that you will never go into. Because if you accidentally turn the light on, that could hinder or halt the darkening process...

Good luck and congrats on such a great job taking care of it! Looks really healthy...

Ninecrow, Looking real Good!

• ty_mn1
    15 years ago

Thanks Ninecrow,

Let me explain/describe the point's current location. It sits in a basically unused dinning room with a south facing padio doors for sunlight. Rarely, if ever, turn on the light in that room, plus, I have been drawing the curtain closed when I get home in the evenings. Now, the last few weeks, it is dark outside when I arrive home from work and the sunrise has barely occurred when I leave in the mornings. Sunrise 7:18am and sunset was 4:49pm today, or about 13+ hours of darkness. Would it still need a box covering in this case?
    What is the oldest Poinsettia that people have written about here? Believe I've seen 5-7yrs, any double digits?

Thanks,
    -Steve

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Steve...actually I'm not Ninecrow, LOL...I'm puglvr. No worries, though. I see how you mixed us up. I was commenting on ninecrow's picture of his point.

I would think 13+ hours of darkness should be fine...the fact that its already changing colors for you is an excellent sign. Just try and keep from turning on the light by accident and you should be fine. I wouldn't do the box thing as long as you keep doing what you've been so far.

I had to bring my points in tonight, we're forcasted to be mid to upper 30's. I'll put it back outside after the temps warm up to over 50°...

Good luck and post pics when they turn more red!

Not sure how long some of the people have had theirs, I have only had mine...this is the 3rd Christmas for two of mine.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Steve,
    So sorry about your mom, I lost mine 8 years ago this December 5th. Good job on your plant! Welcome and jump in anytime!

• ty_mn1
    15 years ago

Hello Puglvr1,
    Yes, I did mis-read your posting. Guess, IÂm too use to Durango Owners Club Forum (user: D TyroneÂs Ride http://www.durangoclub.com/forum/index.php) where the posterÂs signature text is at the bottom of a reply. And yes NinecrowÂs point does look good!.

And Hello Tommyr,
    Thanks. And I will, jump in when I can.

-Steve

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cutting
    For use as cut flowers, the stem ends of the poinsettia are submerged briefly in boiling water or held over a candle flame. The treatment prevents the milky fluid from seeping out and prevents wiliting. A Poinsettia bouquet treated in this manner has a shelf life of up to 14 days.

I haven't tried this so I don't know if the 14 day self life is true or not.... But I'm Tempted to try it
    I found this info on the Stars For Europe website.

Draven is Fine, I'll be posting some More Photos soon

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Ninecrow,

Thanks for that info...Let us know if you try it? If it works, that would be really cool.

Looking forward to pics of Draven...mine is still slowly changing colors. We have had unseasonably cold nights here in FL, so I think the points changing colors is taking its sweet time...It only about 40% so far.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:77017}}

A Mid/Late Photo of Draven

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Draven looks Fantastic!! Very elegant looking...thanks for the picture!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks puglvr1....
    I Ment a Mid/Late Nov Photo of Draven....
    Have had a bit of Late Season Strech, he was a lot more compact before...

How are yours doing?
    Anyone Else?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mine is doing fine, we've had unseasonably cold Nov. here in Florida. Mine is outside under a palm tree. I've left it outside a couple of times when the weather was in the upper 30's, so its not as good as it should be, LOL...its coloring up, but not there yet. I have to bring it in tonight, it is supposed to be 38 tonight again...too cold for me( too cold for FL for that matter)...

Thanks for the pic!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

I bought a new one last week, orange like bracts. Photos shortly! My other one is doing well but not coloring up. That's o.k. though.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HAPPY POINSETTIA DAY!!!!!!!

• chris_anne
    15 years ago

I have just finished reading 3 years of helpful history here. IÂm new to the idea of trying to keep a point longer than one season. Love the plant, but got tired of throwing them out  it just didnÂt feel right. I searched for a photo on pruning and thanks to ninecrow and Draven, I now know how naked they need to get. Wow, I gasped when I saw DravenÂs hard prune.

Question: I really want to experiment with cuttings so I can have more plants next year. Anyone with experience or comments on this?

Question: I would also like to get some plants after Christmas so as to get a discount. Is it possible to get good quality plants after the holiday at a nice discount? Any suggestions here?
    Thanks!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Chris,

I don't have any experience with Poinsettia cuttings, I tried it a few times, and it didn't work for me. Others might have success tips for you.

As far as the after Christmas deals, if I had to "guess"?
    I would say yes...your chances are very good at getting great deals on Christmas plants after Christmas. Especially with the economy being so bad. I would guess some people aren't going to be buying Christmas plants and would opt for something else "more useful" as far as presents/decorating goes. Even when the economy was good, I always get great deals, at least 50% of the day after or sometimes a day before Christmas. I have purchased Points or C. Cactus at half price with a pretty good selection. But then again the market and the area you live in makes a LOT of difference...Just my opinion.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Cuttings are pretty easy. Take 3-5 inch cuttings, stick in moist (not soggy!) light weight potting mix. Keep the soil moist in bright filtered light. Cross fingers!

• koicool1
    15 years ago

Hey merry christmas everyone and happy new year!

Lets see some more photos! I didn't bloom my point this year as was planned. It got too big for any box or bag I could find. This year I will definitely prune it. I gave it an early cut back two weeks ago because it looked too unruly. It is now coming back very strong. How many branches do any of you guys allow to develop?

On another note(thinking ahead),
    Does anyone plan to send their poinsettias outside for a 'summer vacation?' What kind of sun exposure would bring out the best deepest green leaves? I was thinking shade, but my shade is at a premium. maybe, a partial shade site (ie. 5-6 hours of direct sun, then shade for the rest of the afternoon.) what are your thoughts on this?

• justeen_bonsai
    15 years ago

I ran into this thread on Google and was wondering if annyone could offer me some advice. I got two poinsettias from my church and already know all the little details about taking care of them, but one of them looks weak:
    {{gwi:66301}}
    {{gwi:66302}}
    {{gwi:66304}}
    {{gwi:66306}}
    If you couldn't tell, all the leaves seem to be turning yellow, then falling off. One of the stems in the third picture is completely wilted. I'm pretty sure I'm watering them enough, but not too much as not to provoke root rot. I gues I could take off the decorative cover and let excess water drain out. Oh well. Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Here's a picture of my healthy poinsettia:
    {{gwi:66307}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Here's the one I bought in the fall:

{{gwi:77020}}