Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:07

I call this my super plant because of how fast it grows lol

I thought some of you would find this interesting so I decided to post a pic

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My "Super" Tradescantia zebrina

How fast has it grown?

Well as you can see this is all from a single cutting that was 3-4" long about a month ago!

I have another of these plants that i get cuttings from but it doesn't grow nearly as fast.

As with most of my cuttings I simply stuck this one into damp potting soil right after cutting it from the mother plant.

Maybe this is how fast it normally grows but either way I find it interesting

Tuck

o

Very pretty! It sure is doing great things.

Mine are either usually totally purple from full sun or mostly gray from full shade. This is the most versatile and prolific plant I have, it's in over 20 pots combo'd with many different plants and looks great with them all, in my wild-taste eye. I think it's a super plant for its' chameleon abilities.

Last summer I saw some making flowers, first time ever. Just glad I noticed, didn't know it was possible but after it happened, realized it's not terribly uncommon. From what I can tell, plants need to reach a mature age to do it, and exposure to cold in winter may be a factor. Will be interesting to see this year how the left-outside plants compare to the brought-in-because-they-were-at-the-base-of-other-plants plants.

o

Thanks!

I plan to do some mixed hanging pots once summer sets in.

I added four new cuttings to the pot with this plant this morning, i hope to get a nice thick plan I can harvest from by summer

o

Tuck, very pretty WJ, and yes, a 3-4" cutting that has grown the size it is now, in one months time, IS fast.

Did you add more Tradescantia cuttings to the pot or other varieties?

Purple..Did I see your WJ flowers? lol. Were blooms purple?

o

pretty. i have been wanting one for a long time now. everytime i go to buy one, there is bugs on it

o

Thanks everyone!

hope-

Yes, I added more Tradescantia. I want to get one real nice hanging pot of these, then I'll mix it up a bit

teen-

If I could I'd gladly give you a cutting or 2 but i don't think thats possible...

o

Thats okay. im sorry if i made you fell bad

o

Toni, yes they were purple. Click on my words "making flowers" link above, thread about it here. Very dark, pretty purple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here