Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do leaves turn color an then loose their effectiveness or ....

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 11:10

Do leaves turn color an then loose their effectiveness as leaves, or do they form an abscission layer first, loose their effectiveness and then turn color?

Other possibilities?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do leaves turn color an then loose their effectiveness or ...

They do both of those things. They can also lose color and remain on the plant, either because of disease issue or genetics.

o
RE: Do leaves turn color an then loose their effectiveness or ...

With fall color hormones are triggered by daylight length and this causes the abscission layer to form which blocks the transport of chlorophyll (green) so xanthophylls (yellow) and carotenoids (orange) are expressed and trapped sugars in the leaf form anthocyanins (red/purple). As the abscission layer dries it causes the leaf to separate. It would seem that the leaf would lose the ability to produce food for the plant as soon as the chlorophyll is blocked. I don't know if the process is the same if it's due to disease. BTW I don't remember this from botany class, too long ago, I just looked it up. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here