Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I like China Dolls (Radermachera sinica)..........

Posted by elkay 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 11:17

but they don't like me. :( I can't seem to get them to thrive even tho everything I read about them says they are easy to grow.

I've tried them by a south window, 68 to 72 degrees, humidity about 50%, where them seem ok for a while and then gradually lose leaves. I try to maintain even moistness of soil - maybe I let the soil dry out too much. Also tried an east window and west window with slightly cooler temps and no drafts - no luck.

What's the secret?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I like China Dolls (Radermachera sinica)..........

I have never got to see this plant in real life

o

Plant outside in San Diego, some great specimens at the San Diego Zoo. ;) sorry.

They always defoliate here so assuming they want brighter light and higher humidity than is found in most homes.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 22:18

If you haven't noticed them wilting from dry soil - odds are very high the problem is over-watering. I grew one for several years in a shallow container on our kitchen table (low humidity) in front of a south and a west window - both had some kind of prissy curtains on it ..... so in medium light, I'd say. It was a little leggier than it should have been, but I wasn't partial to that particular plant because of the compound leaves (not a bonsai candidate), so I gave it away. They are pretty easy and forgiving, so there is some part of the puzzle missing - most probably a soil or nutritive issue.

Al

o

DH says this is his favorite plant of my collection, and I love it too. When outside, it goes in full sun. Like most trees, eager to grow new leaves if the old ones get mites, too dry, sun burned, or frost bitten (yes, voice of experience.) If this winter ever ends, maybe you could put it outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here