Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fitasiangirl

Help for my money tree!

fitasiangirl
10 years ago

I recently repotted to a larger pot about 4 weeks ago. The plant is not doing well after flourishing for years. The leaves are turning yellow and falling off and they are curling under. The new shoots are a lime green.
Taikun needs your help!

Comments (34)

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another picture.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Pretty standard for a re-pot this early in the season. Always best to re-pot these in late May - June when they are growing their best.

Next questions: Pot size, Drainage, Potting Mix type, Fertilization, and Light exposure?

Pictures of the mix, the container, and the exposure sure would help.

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the help. This plant means so much to me. He has mirrored all the changes in my life by his phyiscal characteristics as well!

Here is the size of the pot. It has drainage on the bottom. I usually water every 2 weeks. It is by a window with indirect light, it has been there for over a year

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the potting soil. It is Miracle Gro moisture control

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. I am going to gather the materials and repot tomorrow. I will keep you posted. It is not often that people take the time to help others.

10 years ago

My pleasure! I love these trees, and I like to see them grow healthy for others, too. With the right soil mix, and enough light, these trees should be no problem :-)

Josh

• Photo Synthesis
    10 years ago

I would agree on repotting into a smaller pot, with a fast-draining soil. The MG Moisture Control would keep your money tree too soggy. However, I use the MG Cactus and Succulent soil, and it works just fine.

Judging from your last photo, the soil is way too dry. When you've repotted into a smaller pot with the proper soil, I would thoroughly flush the whole pot out, and let the the excess water drain completely away. This plant's scientific name is Pachira aquatica. In their native habitats in Central and South America, these grow in the wetlands. So they're no strangers to water, hence the "aquatica." However, that doesn't mean they can tolerate soggy soils, such as the MG Moisture Control. Their roots need access to fresh air, just as much as they need access to water.

Josh has seen a picture of my money tree, which I posted in a previous thread on here. It's as tall as I am now, and I finally had to pot it up last year into a larger pot. The largest self-watering pot that Wal-Mart sells. Because the pot it was in was becoming too small, making my money tree top-heavy and pot-bound. Which caused it to keep falling over all the time, when I had it outside.

Now it's stable, and with more room for its roots to grow. I haven't even moved it back outside yet, because the nights are still too cold, yet its branches are already growing out. Much faster than they ever have before. I'm almost scared to see how big it gets this year, HaHa. It's already difficult to move through the door as it is. But I absolutely love it.

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have repotted in MG cactus soil , orchid bark and perlite. I watered but did not flush . How do you do that ?

10 years ago

Flushing is simply pouring lots of water through the mix, slowly and thoroughly. Now that you've re-potted, I don't think you need to flush the mix.

For recovery, get the plant as much light as possible, and fertilize in about a week.

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After the repot two weeks ago, the plant seemed to be doing better. There are new shoots (but they are still lime green) and then crinkled leaves seem to have more life. I watered 3 days ago. Just in the last day, some leaves just turned yellow. Is this normal?

10 years ago

Hello!
    I can't say if the yellowing is a normal response to the re-potting, or a lack of nutrients, or something else. Have you fertilized?

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is picture of one of the leaves that is turning yellow.

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The back has what appears to be a white spot. Is this mold? How do I treat it?

10 years ago

Good morning! Have you fertilized the plant yet?

I would just clean the leaves for now. Wipe them down with water and a little lemon juice (mixed in the water).

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Morning!
    I fertilized on Wed using Miracle Gro Liquid Houseplant Food.
    Before I read your last post, I wiped it down with alcohol and water. A few other leaves have turned yellow over night.

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have noticed that whenever I give it more light, it does tend to do this. I have it at the same window, but draw up the blinds to give it more light since I replanted it. This happened a little while ago.

10 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. They tend to look worse before they look better. As long as the new growth is healthy, I think the tree will pull through. Give it some time to adjust, and please do keep us updated!

Also, can you post a pic of the entire plant in its pot?

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the plant and pot. I put some red lava rocks on top ...hope this is ok!

10 years ago

Yes, the lava rock will be fine :-)

The pot is still quite large for the tree, so here are two tips to mitigate the chance of root-rot. First, elevate the pot in the drip-tray with something like wine corks or small pieces of wood, et cetera, to allow air below the drainage holes. Second, stick a wooden kabob skewer all the way into the mix and leave it there. Then, simply check the skewer for signs of wetness when you are planning to water - if the skewer is still damp, don't water; if dry, give the plant a thorough watering.

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I move it to a smaller pot?

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also used vermiculite in my potting mixture. Is this acceptable?

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also used vermiculite in my potting mixture. Is this acceptable?

10 years ago

No, vermiculite works against the concept of drainage and aeration. It *increases* the moisture content of a mix, and after a short time will collapse into a spongy and then finally a mucky mess.

One re-potting was stress enough, and so I don't really know if another re-potting is the best idea. I guess just watch the watering closely, use the two tips I mentioned, and then re-pot at a more favorable time.

The container size is fine if the potting mix has good drainage and if the plant is growing well.

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's been a little while since I posted, thanks for the help! I decided to go ahead and repot once again into a mixture of lava, pumice and turface. Before transferring, my plant actually lost every single one of it's leaves. It has a lot of new growth now and has grown in height considerably, however the leaves are still curling under. My current watering schedule is twice a week. I find that the potting mixture dries out a lot faster than traditional soil.

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can anyone shed some light on what I should do to fix the white spots on the new growth?

• darcydeuce
    9 years ago

I don't have an answer to the spots on your leaves, just wanted to thank you for the update. It's always nice to see how others' plants are faring. I have a money tree as well (much smaller) and recently repotted it into a fast draining mix. It was getting kind of sad looking and thought it was time to give it extra tlc and see if I could help it reach its potential, rather than just existing.

Yours looks really good though, especially having lost all its leaves!

• darcydeuce
    9 years ago

Are you fertilizing? With a change in mix, fertilizing would be needed to supplement what the plant isn't getting in the traditional soil. I've also seen the fertilizer Foliage Pro recommended on here, but I haven't been able to find it so I haven't used that particular one myself.

9 years ago

It looks great! But, yes, I think it needs to be fertilized. Also, really saturate that mix if you aren't already. Totally soak it. Two waterings a week during the warm months is fine.

Josh

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I fertilize with miracle gro every week. I did try epsom salt last week. What is the best fertilizer to use?
    Thanks for all of the help!

• fitasiangirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I fertilize with miracle gro every week. I did try epsom salt last week. What is the best fertilizer to use?
    Thanks for all of the help!

9 years ago

Hello!
    MG is fine to use, but it lacks the proper Calcium, so you might want to supplement. When using Epsom Salt, just 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, once a week, will do. It's hard to say what the "best" fertilizer is, but many of us like Foliage Pro 9-3-6 because it has all the essential nutrients.

Josh

• MissTiana Davis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello!! I am hoping one of you very knowledgeable folk are still here and can help me save my beloved plant. I have raised it since it was 3 inches tall and now its dying :(

I repotted in mid-summer. Initially, she lost a lot of leaves to yellowing, but then the growth took off. After a month or so, I would say it was 25%- 35% than when I re-potted. Two weeks ago, I fertilized with miracle grow all purpose and now the leaves (both new and mature) are yellowing and falling off. I'm so sad. All advice welcomed! Please HELP!!

• Cary Partington
    2 years ago

Oh gosh looking at your last photo filled me with sadness, Especially as you grew it from tiny! I hope that you found help! My little plant has leaves all pale,, at present they're all on the plant, I dried the soil out as I thought it was too moist, and now have moved her but problem still bad Help!! any one out there? (she was in a room that gets rather cold so I moved her upstairs with more light) but things are getting worse, nearly all the leaves are pale