Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's nice to see my friends are back!

Posted by plantomaniac08 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 11:59

Each year for the last three years I've discovered Anoles outside on our patio, usually in my plants... The first year I discovered mounds of black stuff in my Hostas only to figure out after I dug it out by hand, that it was Anole poop! I've taken a couple indoors with me by mistake when bringing my Hoyas inside for the night.

It's always nice to see them return each year, I enjoy the company when I'm outside watering. I also find it funny to watch their behavior; one year after watering, one hopped up on one of my plants that I just watered and proceeded to lick the leaves; perhaps a silly thing to find interesting but I guess I'm a big animal person as well as a plant person.

Last week I noticed one hanging around my Hoyas (just put them outside, thank goodness for the warmer weather), seems I'll have to call him Mr. Brown, I have yet to see him turn green. Maybe he was green for St. Patrick'S Day and I missed it!

So he's not quite in my plants yet, but he'll be in my Hoyas before I know it!

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 12:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's nice to see my friends are back!

I'd be excited too. Those guys are so cute.

o

Yes! They are one of my favorite "wild pets!" Had one in the house this winter. I put up some pics of them a while back in this dicsussion too. I keep water dishes outside in various places for them. Do you have skinks too?

Found this toad IN a pot while repotting last summer. Hard to say which of us was more surprised!

o

Purple,
I think I missed those posts! I've tried keeping water dishes out for them but I've never seen them drink from any of them (guess I can't say they don't drink from them at all though.... maybe I'll put some out for them this year). Hubby says we have skinks (he's seen them at his Mother's before, but not any where we are), but I've never seen one myself. I had a potted Lantana a few years ago when I still lived with my Mother. I couldn't figure out why the soil kept coming out of the pot until one day I pushed on this "hump" in the soil and it moved! Needless to say I left the toad alone aftert that.

Planto

o

I've seen anoles using the water dishes and often if it's been dry for weeks they will come running when I'm watering the plants. Just have to remember to change the water if you see wigglers in the dish. Some of them get kind of used to me, some are always skittish. They're so daggone cute!

The skinks are hard to find, when I get sick of the grass trying to grow up the porch foundation walls and pull chunks of it out, I see them sometimes down in/under there. When I walk by areas mulched with leaves I catch one diving for cover sometimes out of the corner of my eye. They're very shy I guess.

o

I love them...they're so funny. The other day one seemed to fall from the sky - I guess from a tree or the porch roof, then I watched it hop up onto my loquats, then to the peppers, up a wooden stake and into a hanging basket.

They're always watching me when I garden!

o

Awesome pic!!!!!

o

Yes, really a terrific shot!

o

Thanks!! They certainly are photogenic. :)

green anole

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here