Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinched Avocado Plant Help?

Posted by iluvbotany4life Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 12:25

I have two avocado plants I grew from the pit, and they grew really fast with a stem getting to about 8 or 9 inches tall and a few whirls of leaves at the top. When it got this tall I cut the top set of leaves off, hoping that it would make the plant branch out. It's been about a week and a half, and nothing much has happened. The cut off section looks the same way it did when I cut it, nothing has started growing there. The leaves that were left under my cut may have gotten a bit bigger, but that's about it. Is this what is supposed to happen? It just seems like my cutting of the top leaves has stunted the plant's growth. What kind fo growth should I be looking for? Should I fertilize it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinched Avocado Plant Help?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 16:28

Removing the apical meristem (growing tip) of any branch or stem permanently terminates it's growth. There is a growth regulator produced in the apical meristem that suppresses lateral growth along that branch or stem, so when it's removed, another growth regulator becomes dominant and stimulates new lateral growth - usually from leaf axils (crotches) along the stem/branch.

Right now isn't exactly when you'd expect the most robust growth on your avocado, so be patient - it will happen as days lengthen & the plant wakes up.

I can't advise you about whether or not it's safe to fertilize w/o knowing something about how you water. We can talk about that, and I can help you with an easy way to make certain it's safe to fertilize if you wish. Plants cannot grow normally unless all the essential nutrients are available for uptake. When plants are growing in container culture, you shouldn't rely on the soil to provide them, because it can't/won't, so it's very important that you provide them via fertilizer. The question now is, can we safely add fertilizer to the current level of salts in the soil or should we flush those salts from the soil first?

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here