Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this houseplant?

Posted by virraszto (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 12:27

I got a clipping of this plant from my aunt, who got it from her aunt who is now deceased. I'm trying to find out what it is so I can learn how to take care of it. I just love it.
It is very fragile and I have it sitting in water to root, but I'm afraid it will fall apart when I try to transplant it.

Does anyone know what it is and how to take care of it?

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this houseplant?

It's a Sedum morganianum, also called Burro Tail. It is a succulent that needs to be planted in a cactus-type soil or a regular potting soil with lots of granite grit and perlite added. When you do some research on your new plant, you'll find that it thrives in lots of light and warmth.

Placing a long cutting such as that in water is not what I would do. I'd make several smaller cuttings and stick them directly into potting soil (after removing the leaves needed to be able to stick them in). Sedums are very easy to propagate from stem and leaf cuttings.

o

I agree, it is called "burrows tail" I have one as well. Mine is fairly large, it likes the sun, it sits in a window that gets morning sun, i quite often turn the plant so all sides get equal sun. Yes they are very fragile, i recently posted a question on repotting mine. I neede help from my husband, we were successful however we did loose some stems but i'm going to try to plant them for my sister.Enjoy it, I have received many compliments on mine. Lori

o

Thanks so much!

I did see some photos of burrow's tail but I wasn't sure. The cuttings I have seem much thinner and more chainlike.

Of course, my aunt had neglected her plant severely, so it's probably not healthy at all.

I'll try to transplant, and if it's not successful, I'll just get a few more cuttings from my aunt.

Thanks again!

V.

o

It probably looks the way it does due to lack of proper light. This succulent needs direct sunlight, otherwise the leaves grow further apart on the stem when they should be close together.
Take 6"-7" cuttings, pinching off some of the lower leaves at the bottom to make bare stems to plant into the soil.
I'm not sure how many stems you'll get, but I like to use almost all of the space inside a small pot 2"- 3" pot to root the stems, leaving about an inch of room for the roots to grow. Put the pot in a sunny window and water once and not again until completely dry. You should see new closer together leaves and more plumper leaves as well.
The stems should root within a week or so. Water well.

Billy Rea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here