Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming Giant Norfolk Island Pine

Posted by danupp none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:38

I saw an older line of messages on this subject, but cannot find the answer I need. Has anyone ever tried cutting the trunk a few inches above the soil line? Assuming the roots are in good condition, would it re-sprout from the stump? I know this is drastic, but my tree, and its pot are getting too large.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming Giant Norfolk Island Pine

Yes, it probably would, but it would give you two main trunks instead of one.

o

Why would two trunks emerge from the stump, Zackey?

I don't know this with any personal experience behind it, but I think that your NIP would have a very hard time surviving that sort of pruning. Many woody trees and shrubs thrive with that kind of pruning but most conifers don't.

That's under the assumption that your tree has lost some of its lower branches, normal as it ages, and that you would be leaving a naked trunk. If you make your chop above some healthy green branches, then your tree may grow a new leader. Your plant may look crooked.

BUT, if you're willing....try it! How tall a stump do you wish to leave?

o

Any branch you cuts comes back as a double. I cut several hibiscus years ago down to the pot, they all branched out and came back as two canes.

o

Well, if I got two trunks, I could always trim one off. My NIP is devoid of branches for 8 of its 12 feet. On further thought, it might be better, and less risky of a total loss, to get another small NIP, and graft it to the trunk a few inches up. Does the plant take to grating?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here