Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Your March 2014 blooms go here!

paul_
10 years ago

Many of the plants that were in bloom January and February are still blooming, but here are some new ones for this month:

A nice mini with sweetly fragrant flowers:

{{gwi:77793}}

{{gwi:77795}}

Another fragrant mini -- the entire plant would sit in the palm of your hand:

{{gwi:77798}}

A nice orange

{{gwi:77800}}

And Drosera binate (a species of sundew)

{{gwi:77801}}

Comments (69)

• lii_sama 6
    10 years ago

Bought 3 new NOID Eater cacti...
    {{gwi:77822}}

I am trying to decide whether I have 2 orange in 1 pot or it's the same plant.

{{gwi:77823}}

{{gwi:77824}}

Here's the whole plant:

{{gwi:77825}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

jujujojo

Is that clematis grown in greenhouse or in the 'regular' room? They are all very nice...Rina

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Rina, they are in a regular room!

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lii-sama, I suspect two different orange flowering plants in that pot -- the petals of the one are far wider than that of the other and their color appears darker. Lovely orange color, btw.

• Will07
    10 years ago

Just noticed when I went to water my orchids that my oncidium is starting to send up some flower spikes! First time I'll see it flower. Apparently the flowers smell like chocolate. Can't wait!

• lii_sama 6
    10 years ago

Paul, thank you, I think the same and decided to mark the different branch. It's a lovely orange, somewhat goes to dark yellow.
    Here's another one of those 3 NOIDs:

{{gwi:77826}}

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

wow, juju!
    your clematis is amazing - but even more so since it's growing indoors. and in rather small pots too! does it go outside in summer or is it always indoors? does it go dormant in winter? do you know it's name?

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by petrushka z7b (My Page) on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 18:06

Hi, good to see you here. The pot is not small. There are a couple small pots placed on top of the larger pot :) It receives very good sunlight as you can see. My room temperature is set to 23 - 20 C (73 - 68 F). Yes, I place them outside when it gets warmer.

• Rodden-Blessed
    10 years ago

I'm truly more of a foliage person than a blossom person, but the pictures everyone has shared are truly incredible, and I really enjoyed them. It was great to see the Easter cactus blooms. I'm really on the lookout for one as I have a passion for the holiday cacti, yet I've never managed to come across an Easter cactus. In fact, I didn't even know they existed until recently.

It's been a while since I have posted anything, so I snapped a picture of my AV's cluster of blooms. The total number of blooms in the cluster is 17, but I couldn't capture them all in one shot. They are more rich in purple than the photo reveals. The plant was a $1 snag from Lowe's because one leaf had a slight bend in it, and now it is filling my office at work with brilliant purple. I definitely invested that dollar well!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

jujujojo

Thank you, and would love to know the names just like petrushka...I would never consider growing clematis inside, yours look beautiful.
    The white one looks like a true double, I just saw a photo of & would like to find, except it was pink, named Josephine (='Evijohill')

Rina

• tommy1tone
    10 years ago

Finally figured out what kind of walking iris plant I have and it's the Common Walking Iris, Neomarica gracilis. I feel very lucky to have caught of this bloom. This picture is from 2 days ago, March 7. They literally go from barely open to shriveled up in about 24 hours. I'd heard it said but it's hard to believe until you see it yourself.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Rodden,
    Hi again. That's quite a find for $1! Places like Wal-Mart generally sell Easter cacti. I don't remember the exact time they start showing up, but it's usually around Easter, hence the name lol. You could try there if you have a Wal-Mart nearby. I don't remember having ever seen them at Lowes or Home Depot... But I won't say they don't sell them, it just seems like ours don't. Some grocery stores also carry them.

Planto

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Love this one. Unnamed Potinara.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

And this. Epicattleya Rene Marquez 'flame thrower'

{{!gwi}}

• Rodden-Blessed
    10 years ago

Thanks, Planto, for the information on the Easter cactus. They look so much like a Christmas cactus (at least to me) unless they are in bloom, but I'm pretty dead-set on finding one. I'm just so busy with work and teenagers that I don't have much time to go on a hunt, and when school finally lets out, the Easter cacti will likely be gone. But these factors make the hunt all the more challenging, which can be fun.

You are always so good at responding, Planto. I appreciate you!

Rodden-Blessed

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Rodden,
    Sure thing. :)

Planto

• lii_sama 6
    10 years ago

Rodden, my plants say "thank you". My experience with Easter cactus started completely randomly I somehow got red Easter cactus I think he was a gift from my grandmother. I noticed he was blooming at different time and he had different flowers so I started to learn more and more about different types. Now I feel very knowledgeable when I am at the flower shop. I wish sellers here would work more and put names for cacti as well, but at the moment there is Christmas cactus (in reality we know they are wrong) and Easter cacti which is recent development because few years ago it was very difficult to find one in the flower shop.
    I hope my weird cactus will bloom this year as well so that I could post photos here to try and guess what it is.

• Joeliza
    10 years ago

This is my peace lily and it's starting to flower! :) The little one is just starting to come out.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Most of the few plants blooming at my house were already blooming in previous months.

Kalanchoe x houghtonii still has a few blooms yet to go.

10 years ago

A short while back I chopped up my Easter cactus into a ton of cuttings and another one of the cuttings has made a flower. This 'plant' is 2 leaf segments and this little flower. It looks weird because I had to adjust the light and shadows way up to see it, (and is in a pot with Thanksgiving cacti and other plants.)

10 years ago

Not pictured but still blooming: Callisia fragrans, wax & dragon wing Begonias, a sporadic Impatiens flower, a few straggler blooms on Thanksgiving cactus over the past few weeks.

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana still going strong.

• lii_sama 6
    10 years ago

Everyone has amazing plants!

Today in Latvia we have a storm coming, as wind is picking up it's nice to look at something blooming already otherwise it's too grey.
    My schlumbergeras have started the second blooming. I think it's because of weather we didn't have a real winter for a long this season.
    This one started out as white and then blossoms became violet more and more:
    {{gwi:77827}}

{{gwi:77828}}

{{gwi:77829}}

Then there is another one, the growth somewhat resembles that of true Christmas cactus. As you can see I had to put the pot higher otherwise it would brush the surface of the table:

{{gwi:77831}}

{{gwi:77832}}

And the third one:

{{gwi:77833}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Christmas Cactus just won't stop....!

Josh

• Tuija
    10 years ago

Hibiscus `Adonicus yellow`

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

wow, that is a pretty hibiscus!
    auron,
    is that a tulip pink anthurium? love the bloom shape and color!
    i have some unusual bloom this spring: new miniature hybrid of poinsettia, it is reblooming with sev real full bract clusters. i am hoping it has set the flowers due to short days that we still had in feb. the room is dark at nite and my xgiving cactus blooms there too in nov/dec.
    so, i did not give poisettia any 'dark box' treatment, but apparently it was was dark enough.
    i also have a rebloom of begonia reiger (xmas begonia) that sets flowers in less then 10hr days. it's barely 2" size, but already got a real flower too. once it starts, it goes for many months.

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

my aroids are also shooting buds all at once:
    pink aglaonema, anthurium and 'domino' spath.
    ag has been producing blooms since dec, anthurium also had several.but it's a 1st for spath.

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cute tubby little flowers

{{gwi:77834}}

a nice orange

{{gwi:77836}}

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Voodoo Magic

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Unknown hibiscus

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Brom, not really blooming.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Two year old impatiens

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Brom in bloom

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Another brom - I love broms.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Some kind of dendrobium - I think.

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Kalanchoe 'pearl bells' almost open buds.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

shuffles

that Voodoo magic is magical...

Beautiful plants & blooms, everybody.
    Rina

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Shuffles..I agree with Rina..Amazing..

Very nice plants everyone..I enjoy threads like this)

Paul...You know how I feel about Orchids...Does that mini Orchids whaff in teh air, or do you have to go up close to smell it?
    By the way..Do you have any Hoya? One of mine caught me off guard this a.m with blooms.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Here are a few of mine, finally..

This Phal smells like Chocolate..

{{gwi:77843}}

Brassavolia,,Smells like a clove and vanilla. Very strong at dusk.

{{gwi:77844}}

Cattalaya...Like a hint of citrus and like floral..Delicious.

{{gwi:77846}}

Noid..Not sure how to describe scent..LIke candy of some sort..Unbelievable is the word. I'd get mre if I could find another.

{{gwi:77848}}

Some sort of Dendrobium..Inocent but packs a punch of very floral vanilla mixed..I love this one!

{{gwi:77850}}

Maxillara..Hawiian Tropic coconut suntan lotion frgrance..I lift this one every day and I am reminded of the beach. I can't get enough of this one either.

{{gwi:77853}}

Mitonia..Very Floral and whaffs in the air..

{{gwi:77856}}

Zygopetalum..One of a few..They all smell different but all smell very sweek. My favorite one.

{{gwi:77858}}

Another type..Guess there was steam on the lense.

{{gwi:77861}}

Oncidium....Chocolate or course and boy does this fill up a room! SWEET

{{gwi:77862}}

The infamous and ellusive 'Chicken Feet' thanks to my friend here! Smells heavenly..A few plants.

{{gwi:77864}}

{{gwi:77866}}

{{gwi:77867}}

Oncidium..Whaffs in the air too..Like Nailla spice and chocolate all in one..I broke the tips off again for the second winter in a row...

{{gwi:77862}}

No fragrance..But still love these! Air plants.

{{gwi:77870}}

{{gwi:77872}}

Mike

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Mike

All gorgeous, as always. You have a way with plants!

What is 'Chicken feet' plant? Couldn't find anything looking like yours on net.
    Rina

• Rodden-Blessed
    10 years ago

I'm enjoying everyone's photos immensely. Thank you all for sharing. I snapped this picture of my clivia that is starting to bloom. Another stalk of blooms is also coming up but is not as advanced as this one. You can see it close to the base of the blooming stem. It was a nice afternoon in NE Oklahoma, so I had my plants outside for a bit of gentle sunshine before we get another round of colder weather.

Rodden-Blessed

• Starlight Botanist
    10 years ago

Hey everyone, some awesome looking blooms you all have here!

Looks like the kalanchoe is just about peaked. Thanksgiving cactus is working on some too, probably be the end of April for them though,
    {{gwi:77874}}

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

This has been blooming non-stop for a couple months now.

Planto

Chlorophytum laxum 'Bichetii'

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I find with the Ang. distichium that I have to take the plant out of the tank an hold it fairly close to catch a whiff. HOWEVER, there were only two tiny flowers (a really well grown plant can have many more in bloom at once) which may be a contributing factor. Furthermore, flowers of this genus are mainly if not exclusively fragrant at night. (This genus is usually pollinated by moths.) The fact that I didn't open the terrarium during the night to check most certainly was an issue.

I do indeed have several Hoya. Used to have 5 but gave away H. motoseki as it was growing far far to rampantly for my space (and the flowers looks almost identical to carnosa which I also have) and lost another Hoya (can't remember the species name off the top of my head) when a coworker I had loaned it to took it with her when our place of employment closed and she took it home with her. Currently have carnosa, DS70, and mindorensis. The latter has stubbornly refused to do more growth-wise than give me the occasional leaf -- VERY rare event. (Wish the dumb thing would get its act together and grow!) I have found that -- at least in DS70's case -- the fragrance of the flowers is different at different times of day.

Shuffles, that is most certainly a Dendrobium ... a nobile-type to be a bit more precise.

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Here is what is blooming in my house:

Streptocarpus 'Dale's Polar Lava'
    {{gwi:77876}}
    African violet 'Pony Ride'
    {{gwi:77877}}
    Kohleria 'Strawberry Fields'
    {{gwi:77878}}
    Nautilocalyx 'Carabbean Pink'
    {{gwi:77879}}

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Forgot all about Ceropegia woodii variegata:

{{gwi:77880}}

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larry, how big do 'Pony Ride" and 'Strawberry Fields' get?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Paul...Thanks for the info..Really appreciated..
    It's true that a Hoya can get out of hand..I have to keep cutting mine back and sacrifice a few flowers to keep them looking good...I LOVE whhat's opening now..I should take more pics soon...Thanks again.

Beautiful pics everyone! Sure does brighten up my day...

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Mike, you collection is incredible! My, how it has grown!

Josh

• larry_b
    10 years ago

Hi Paul,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner with this. Pony Ride is a small semi miniature trailing African violet. Kohleria "Strawberry Fields" is a very small growing Kohleria. They hardly get much taller than 8 to 10 inches.

Larry

This post was edited by larry_b on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:04

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not a prob, Larry. Was hoping they would stay smaller than that. In my terrs, I aim for plants that remain under 6" or far less. (Or grow slowly and can easily be pruned into submission. heh)