Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foliage Pro 9-3-6 or Osmocote time release?

Posted by willowdee (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 12:51

Hi, I've started growing a few potted plants after a long hiatus and I'm kinda stumped on plant food. After doing a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to either Foliage Pro or the Osmocote timed release pellet thingies (though I'm open to other suggestions as well). Which do you all think is best overall for houseplants? I have several peace lilies, a spider plant, a couple of pothos, a peperomia, a draecena, and a dieffenbachia.

I'm attracted to the idea of the timed release but if it's better for the plants, will do the FP each time I water. Any input would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foliage Pro 9-3-6 or Osmocote time release?

If it's one or the other, I'd go with Foliage Pro, which offers a more complete formula and will give you greater control over nutrition.

I personally use both. I add Osmocote to certain mixes when made (such as tomato, pepper, vegetable mixes), and then transition to heavier doses of Foliage Pro as the season progresses. I prefer the 4-month slow-release.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 22:21

I agree - I like the control & don't mind the little extra bit of effort. If you do use a CRF, choose one with close to a 2:1:2 or 3:1:2 NPK RATIO (like 18-6-12, 19-6-9, or 15-9-12 would be would be), and try to be sure it also contains the micronutrients.

o

Hello Everyone,

Like Josh and AL, This is the best for me!!

So... I agree as well... ;-)

I also love the Foliage Pro and Pro Tekt. It makes it so much easier to me to make my mix and to know when and how much i give to my trees.

Simple formula and very user friendly!!!!

Good Luck!!

Laura

o

Thanks for the input. I'm a little confused though. I thought that one of the quickest ways to kill a plant is to over fertilize. But you all recommend two different kinds of fertilize. Would you help me understand this? I would think that adding another fertilizer on top of the time released Osmocote would be too much. Do you use a lot less of each than recommended? Sorry to be so dense.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 12:12

It's a valid question. Many growers include a starter charge or a small amount of a favored CRF (controlled release fertilizer) formulation either when they establish the planting or at the beginning of the growth cycle, in spring. Then they fertilize regularly with low doses of some other type of fertilizer. I do this occasionally with bonsai material I want to develop quickly.

Over-fertilizing can cause unwanted types of growth, depending on what elements are supplied in excess, or it can make it difficult to impossible for the plant to take up an adequate volume of water. In extreme cases, it can reverse the flow of water that usually moves from outside to inside the plant's cells, and cause cellular collapse (fertilizer burn/plasmolysis).

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here